QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2003-09 > 1064590392

From: "Gary Boivin" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] (OT) Re Obits
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:33:12 -0600

This was discussed on another OBIT List and they apparently checked with a
legal expert.

In his opinion...
The data included within an obit cannot be copyrighted.
Newspapers will not publish Obits without being paid for the advertizing
space.
The Obit Notice belongs to the individual that paid for it... Always.
Online sites that post and charge for obits can only copyright the format
that was used for the delivery. They cannot copyright the Obit itself
because it belongs to the person that paid for it --- doubtful if the site
has compensated the individual who owns the obit.

So what these sites are charging for is the service they provide and not for
the data itself.
As for posting a copyright notice... Anyone can post any sort of notice and
say what they want... But that doesn't mean that it would stand up in Court.
If these sites believed they could enforce a copyright, they would be suing
everyone that infringed on these so-called copyrights such as the Rootsweb
Obits Lists.

One person did attempt to sue because their copyrighted Obituary Notice
appeared in a publication (I think it was The Canadian Obituary Record).
When it got before the Judge it was thrown out because the Judge ruled that
the purpose of an Obituary Notice was to inform and honour the life of the
deceased and to preventing the publication of the Notice would not be doing
that. He also ruled that the Notice belonged to the deceased even though it
was paid for by the Plaintiff.
http://www.dollarsblaster.com/userindex.asp?userid=7641