QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2003-09 > 1064588819

From: "Sharyn Hay" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] (OT) Re Obits
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:12:39 -0700

In other words, Gary, if someone copies an obituary
from one of these sources and posts it to a list, thus
stealing potential revenue from the newspaper's obit
site, are they not in violation of the copyright at that
point?

Most paid obit sites have a very clear copyright
statement posted on the site and I have seen some obits
on this list which listed a URL. When I went to the URL
there was a very clear copyright statement posted at the
site. I even sent a copy of one to Uncle Fred. That is
why the suggestion has been made here, and on other lists,
that only the info covered by the Freedom of Information
Act (names, dates, locations) be posted instead of full
obits. Just because it is a lot of work to send copies of
full obits privately (which, if copied from a *paid site*, is
also illegal), does not make it right to post copyrighted
info (which is the narrative portion, not the names, dates,
and locations). The argument that individuals pay for obits
in some papers, and thus own them, is true. However, when
they come from a newspaper site which declares a copyright,
it is a much different story.

Regards,
Sharyn