QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2003-09 > 1063521977

From: "David Constantine" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] St. Athanase is ..... in English
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 02:47:34 -0400

Hi Kevan,

This is a link to the most extensive list of French/English/Latin surname equivalents that I am familiar with. And it does not list Athanase or anything similar enough to be a variant.
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~afgs/givenname.html
Possibly the name fell into disuse in western Europe. I believe that D.O' is correct about who it is. For a very thorough (tedious actually) write-up on St. Athanasius go to this link
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02035a.htm
I Believe that he is celebrated more in the Eastern and Greek Orthodox Churches than in the Roman Rite. (If I let it, my spell checker would change Athanase to Euthanasia! :) )
As far as translating Church names is concerned, it is seldom done. As a rule St. Athanase in Quebec is still St. Athanase in Denver and Trenton, much the same as Notre Dame in Paris is Notre Dame and not Our Lady. The same usually holds true for place names such as St. Jean and Trois Rivieres.
If there is anything else I can help you with or if this is unclear please feel free to contact me on this list and I will do my best to help you.

Dave Constantine in Boston