QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2003-04 > 1049304655

From: "Szelog, Mike" <>
Subject: RE: [Q-R] A question re: swear words
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 12:30:55 -0500

Hi Kay,

Since the Lord's Name should not be taken in vain, the use of other
holy/sacred objects as swear words is somewhat common-place in French.
"Tabernac!" - Tabernacle! for example. It's sort of the idea of, if you
can't use the Lord's name, use something else that's considered holy/sacred
associated with God/The Lord. That I know of, this seems to be a "French
thing".

Mike S