QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2003-03 > 1047670954

From: Roch St-Pierre <>
Subject: [Q-R] Dalgleish Megantic County
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:42:39 -0800

Hi! Julia,
here is what I have from the BMS "Anglo-Protestants of Mégantic County"
births, page 67:

Mary Dalglish born May 01, baptized July 31, 1843
Parents: James Dalglish (farmer) and Christiana Bell, from Halifax, Québec
She was baptized in the Presbyterian Church in Leeds, Mégantic County

Marion Galglish born January 22, baptized October 08, 1857
Parents: James Dalglish and Christina Bell
Baptized in the Prebyterian Church in Inverness, Mégantic County

James Dalglish born May 27, 1855 baptized October 30, 1856
Parents: Robert Dalglish and Mary Kelly from Halifax, Québec
Baptized in the Presbyterian Church in Inverness, Mégantic County

Isabella Dalglies born December 31, 1843 and baptized July 28, 1844
Parents: Adam Dalglies (farmer) and Isabella Johnston from Halifax, Québec
Witnesses: James sr. and James jr. Johnston
Baptized in the Church of England, Ireland, Mégantic county

Ellen Dalglies born January 28, baptized March 14, 1840
Parents: Adam Dalglies and Isabella Johnston, from Halifax, Québec
Witnesses: James jr. and James sr. Johnston
Baptized in the Church of England, Ireland, Mégantic County

Roch

I have found Adam Dalgleish death recorded in 1874 in Inverness, Megantic County but not his brother James.
All I have is a reference to his possible death "1870 Land Grants shows rep of James Dalgleish has 100 acres in Gore of Somerset" . I have checked all the death records I could find at that time.
A Robert Dalgleish and Mary Kelly married about 1852-54 who appear suddenly in Halifax, Megantic County and have two sons baptised there 1852/55 called William and James, but I cannot find their marriage before these births.
I think I know who Robert's parents are but have no proof. I think he was born in 1833 in Montreal. I have no idea where these two came from or where they went. They joined other Dalgleishes in Halifax farming in the 1861 census. I did not find them on 1861 or 1871 census with the others. Others went into the states or Ontario by 1880. Apparently there is no 1851 census in that area?

Could anyone guide me in the direction to find this information.
Thanks. Julia

Julia Dalgleish Sauter, Saskatoon, Canada

Searching Dalgleish, Rutherford & Heriot in Scotland
Searching Dalgleish& Aird in Montreal & Megantic County
Searching Thackeray & McQuarrie & Kearney in Ontario...........

This thread: