QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2003-03 > 1047193161

From: "Gary Boivin" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Language question from husband
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 23:59:21 -0700

Joual and patois are pretty close...
One is dialect and the other is slang.

Now don't let anyone fool you....
Every region in France has it's own patois.
Just as various areas of Quebec, New Brunswick and Ontario.

And we all also have our own "joual" (slang).
What is taught in school is "Francais International".
Just like all English speaking countries are all taught the same grammar,
French speaking countries are all taught the same thing.

English is spoken by people from Alabama, New Zealand, Australia, England,
India, Canada... yet to listen to them talk you would think they were all
speaking a sub-dialect of another language.

I've been many French speaking countries (3 areas of France) and have not
been bothered by the different "patois" used. Quite often the locals will
use a synonym to the common word or an older form of the same. But the
"joual" can throw you for a loop because it often has nothing to do with the
language or the word.

I've found that if I'm in a new area that I simply speak "Francais
International" and people pick up right away that I'm a stranger and will
respond with the same.

If your husband wants to see how the Francophones in Quebec speak, he should
try to find some French books from Normandie titled "Asterix". They have
been translated into British English but tell him to find a French one. As
he tries to read it... tell him sound it out loud. That is the "joual" of
Montreal.... that is the "joual" of Normandie. I know.... I lived on a farm
just outside Rouen... and they spoke just like my father-in-law... Using the
same slang.