QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2002-12 > 1040594512

From: "Ronald Johnston" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] What County is Parish in?
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 17:01:52 -0500

Hi Cathy

In reality both are correct, only they have to be combined a bit in order to
become complete and usable.
According to the book by Jeanne Sauve White "Guide to Quebec Catholic
Parishes" this was the first parish in the Comte (County) of Rouville,
starting in 1739. In my FTM I would record it thusly

La Conception-de-Pointe Olivier Parish, St-Mathias(-sur-Richelieu), Rouville
County, Quebec

where La Conception etc is the church patron, while St-Mathias is the
town/city and Rouville is the County. I have noted that both Jeanne Sauve
Whites book and my book from Quintan publications on the listing of pre-1901
Quebec parishes show the town as St-Mathias while the present day map shows
it as St-Mathias-sur-Richelieu. Either I think is OK unless your a real
stickler for details. Hope this is of some help. Good luck with your
research and a very Joyous Holiday season for you and family.

Ron Johnston, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
researching Johnston, Gaudet/Gaudette, Laronde, Gowanlock, Bible