QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2002-11 > 1038270254

From: "Kim Lalonde" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Question: French Canadian or Quebecois?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 19:24:14 -0500

Brenda

I agree with you there. I have a few friends I met in the summer from Quebec
and they are Arabs. I said to them so your a Quebecker and they said no they
are Arabs. Like you said just because someone speaks French they don't
classify themselves as Quebecois. They go off their mother tongue as that is
what they speak at home.

Kim

> I think, also, that people will call themselves by the culture they
> most identify with. The Italians (or Arabs) who are born in Montréal,
> legally they would be Québeckers, but their roots are still Italian or
> Arabic, so they don't quite identify themselves as being Québécois,
> because the sound of Québécois is more French. They might speak French
> of necessity because that's the language spoken in Québec, but their
> traditions and the language they speak in their homes may still be
> their mother tongue.
>
> In Kankakee County, Illinois there were many French-Canadian families
> that migrated there in the 1850s-1880s. Most of them lived in small
> French-speaking communities, but there were still some that lived in
> the "big city" of Kankakee. Up until just a few generations ago, many
> of the descendants of these families STILL spoke French as the only
> language in their homes (my grandfather spoke French in his home with
> his parents and sisters until he dropped it in his teens). I think they
> still identified themselves as being French-Canadian or Québécois
> (depending probably on whether they answered in English or French).
>
> Me, sometimes I feel like une québécoise perdue aux États-Unis (a
> Québécoise lost in the U.S.A.) because I identify so much with that
> side of my roots, but I still feel Québécoise -- even though my
> ancestors left Québec 5 generations ago. To tell you the truth, though,
> I didn't feel Québécoise when I was growing up in Illinois because both
> my mother and grandmother were not. It was only after I began
> researching my Hébert & Boudreau lines that I began to feel a
> connection with those roots. I have studied four languages other than
> English, and French is the one that I picked up the easiest -- my
> Russian instructor told me I spoke Russian with a French accent. LOL
>
> My roots extend to France, Germany, Ireland, England, Scotland, Norway,
> Belgium & Switzerland, but I still feel more Québécoise than anything
> else. (I've even been accused more than once of being Canadian by
> Americans LOL)
>
> Bren

This thread: