QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2002-11 > 1038255600

From: "Gary Boivin" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Question: French Canadian or Quebecois?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:20:00 -0700

Legally...
A Quebecois is a legal resident of Quebec and language or ethnic origin has
nothing to do with it... And you don't have to have been born in Quebec to
be a legal Quebecois! That's because Quebecois is not citizenship but a
place of residence. You don't even have to be a Canadian to be a
Quebecois... Just a legal resident. Language has nothing to do with it.

Even the Quebec government says that you lose your Quebecois status once you
no longer reside in the province. At the last Referendum the Province of
Quebec put a time period of 2 years --- those who had lived out of the
province for less than 2 years could vote. I had been out of province for
over 10 years at the time and had lost my Quebecois Status.
Since I don't have dual citizenship I am not a French-Canadian.
France has no idea what became of me and doesn't care.
I am "Canadien".

I was born in Ontario and now live in Alberta. Legally I am an Albertan.