QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2002-11 > 1038022174

From: "Joyce" <>
Subject: [Q-R] Recipe contest
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 22:31:34 -0500

Hi all - When my sister and I were children my French aunts and cousins
would have a gathering and make some kind of taffy. I think it was to do
with St.Catherines Day (for old maids) We used to sit and pull it and it
was white when pulled but got darker. I did take a lot of pulling by a lot
of people, thats why my aunt always had a houseful when it was being made

Old fashioned Canadian taffy (As my sister and I remember it)
1 cup molasses
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 tsp baking soda, no lumps
few drops vanila for special flavour

Put all ingredientgs except soda into deep saucepan
Boil till mixture forms hard ball in cold water
Add soda and mix well
Pour contents into well buttered platter.
Let cool till candy can be handled.
Pull with both hands until becomes golden brown or lighter shade if desired.
Cut in small pieces and wrap in wax paper.

A more economical version follows and probably a lot easier to make.

OLD FASHIONED VINEGAR CANDY..

This economical taffy, creamy white in colour, is fun to make and nice to
eat. If you're too young to have heard about it, try it and see.

3 cups sugar.. 1 & 1/2 cups cider vinegar. (some recipes add butter)

Place the sugar and the vinegar in a deep saucepan over low heat. Stir
constantly until the sugar is dissolved, cover and simmer 3 minutes to melt
the sugar crystals.. Uncover, and continue to cook slowly until the syrup
reaches the firm ball stage in ice water, or 240 deg F on a candy
thermometer . Pour into a large buttered platter and let cool until the
candy can be handled comfortably.

Butter your hands and pull the taffy until it is white and almost firm.
stretch into a rope about 1 inch in diameter, then roll it into a twist and
snip off pieces with kitchen scissors. Place on a buttered dish or wrap
each piece in transparent paper.

Joyce Crete

---