QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2002-07 > 1027743516

Subject: Re: [Q-R] translation
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 00:23:18 EDT

In a message dated 7/26/02 07:25:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

<< Does anyone know of a good translation software. I lot of the sites I try
research are all French. I can't read or write French. How sad for me.
Wish I could.

Thanks

Sandra

As a native speaker (from the cradle) of both English and French, I must
advise you that there is not a "translation software" program available that
can deal with the circumstances involved in genealogical research. First,
the language has evolved according to normal patterns over the course of
several centuries. (For instance, "Forgive us our trespasses" would be
translated as "Excuse us for walking on the grass"). Second, the software
program cannot deal with the spelling errors and transcription errors of
registrars, of transcribers, etc. For another instance, put the following
message on a translation software program and see what the results might be:
"Jim Rice is at bat. Fred Lynn is on deck." I will not go on with a
play-by--play, because it is already obvious that machine translations cannot
deal with "idioms'. Neither sports idioms nor ecclesiatical and juridical
idioms.

Fr. Owen Taggart

This thread: