QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2002-06 > 1024367196

From: Denis Beauregard <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Is this a form of a marriage contract?
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:26:36 -0400

Le Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:02:30 EDT, écrivait:

>In a message dated 6/17/02 09:57:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> writes:
>
><<
> Charles Duverger and Joseph Brassart were called to attest to the freedom to
> enter marriage of Barbe Rancour, the widow of Joseph Pilote. Joseph Pilote
> was drowned eleven years earlier while [serving] aboard the schooner "La
> Madeleine". It is not easy to prove that you're a widow, if your late
> husband fell overboard, and the body was lost at sea.
>
> Fr. Owen Taggart
> >>
>I'm sorry, "douze ans" is translated as "eleven years" only in Old Style.
>In New Style, it is "twelve years".

I don't understand. 12 is douze in French. How can the change of
calendar which adds or removes about 12 days be relevant when
translating a record ? Old style or new style are meaningless
when there is no date at all. The old style calendar was 1 day
shorter once every century.

As for the last comment "it is not easy to prove...", don't forget
the temoignages usually (always?) apply to recent migrants. They
needed some witnesses to say someone could marry, widow or not.

Denis

--
0 Denis Beauregard
/\/ Web de généalogie: http://www.genealogie.com (français)