QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2002-06 > 1024363971

From: Stephen Charles Eno <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Is this a form of a marriage contract?
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 21:32:54 -0400

This is a testimony regarding the freedom of Barbe Rancour to remarry. It
has nothing to do with her future husband. She is listed as the widow of
Joseph Pilote. However, since Joseph Pilote drowned at sea and, presumably,
his body was never recovered, Barbe would require testimony from observers
that her husband was actually dead and that she was therefore free to
remarry.

The testimony was supplied by Charles Duverger, a sailor on the schooner La
Madeleine, captained by Rodrigue (who was not present), and Joseph Brassart,
a navigator (presumably also on La Madeleine) and cousin in the fourth
degree of Duverger. The testimony was taken by Father Briand, a priest.

The first note at the bottom states that the two individuals were called to
provide testimony as to the liberty of the widow of Joseph Pilote to
remarry. The second note states that Joseph Pilote had drowned and that he
had served on the schooner La Madeleine for twelve years.

"Autrefois de C.P." means formerly from (native of) C.P., but I don't know
what place C.P. is an abbreviation of.

Steve
--
Stephen Charles Eno
Researching Enaud/Henault dit Canada and allied families

On 2002/06/17 20:32, "Kathy Fuhrman" <> wrote:

> I do not quite understand this? This is a testimony of the freedom of
> mariage? On the 19th it shows the marriage cert.& shes marrying Blaise
> Borde-who has never been married before. Maybe I'm slow-but I just do not
> understand this
>
> Temoignage de Liberte au Mariage
>
> Québec 1757-09-17
>

> 01 BARBE RANCOUR
>
> --- v p f

> ----
> 02 JOSEPH PILOTE
> SPOUSE OF 01
> --- m d m

> ----
> 03 CHARLES DUVERGER
>
> Occupation : MARIN SUR LA GOELETTE LA MADELEINE
> Origin : AUTREFOIS DE C.P.
> --- --- p m

> ----
> 04 RODRIGUE
>
> Occupation : COMMANDANT DE LA MADELEINE
> --- --- --- m

> ----
> 05 JOSEPH BRASSART
> COUSIN AU QUATRIEME DEGRE OF 02
> Occupation : NAVIGATEUR
> Origin : AUTREFOIS DE C.P.
> 026 --- p m

> ----
> 06 BRIAND
>
> Occupation : PRETRE
> --- c p m

> ----
> € CHARLES DUVERGER ET JOSEPH BRASSART SONT APPELES A TEMOIGNER A LA LIBERTE
> AU MARIAGE DE LA VEUVE DE JOSEPH PILOTE
> € JOSEPH PILOTE S'EST NOYE IL Y A DOUZE ANS A BORD DE LA GOELETTE LA
> MADELEINE

This thread: