Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2002-04 > 1018990519

From: "djweber" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Oldest in America?
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 15:55:19 -0500

I can't believe the article statement. The Spanish had
settlements in Florida, the Dutch had settlements at Albany and
New York long before 1668 and towns were scattered throughout New
England and New York to say nothing about the Southern Colonies
long before that time.

Probably the newspaper is picking a particular type of a town
"corporation" but certainly there were more probably many towns,
albeit small towns, throughout the Colonies before 1668.