QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2002-04 > 1018356052

From: Stephen Charles Eno <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Translation - Burial Register
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 08:40:55 -0400

In modern legal French, parapher simply means signed, so the phrase should
probably be translated as "have all been numbered and signed".

However, "parapher" properly refers to the practice of adding complex
flourishes to a signature to deter and discourage counterfeiting and
forgery.

Steve
--
Stephen Charles Eno
Researching Enaud/Henault dit Canada and allied families