QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2002-04 > 1018320942

From: "Charles J. LaRobardier" <>
Subject: [Q-R] Translation - Burial Register
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 21:55:42 -0500

I have a strange word in the preamble to a burials register for Holy Family
Parish in Cahokia, IL in 1783.

Ce registre contenant soixante et douse feuilles -- compris celui ici tous
numerantés et paraphés doit servir pour y inscrire les sepultures de la
paroisse de la sainte famille des cahokia. En fois de quoy j'ay signé ce
huitieme jour du mois d'octobre mil sept cent quatrevingt trois.

This has been translated as:

This register containing seventy-two pages -- including this one here, all
numbered and paraphed ought to serve to inscribe here the burials.........
etc.

I think the word "paraphés" is a strange usage and ought to be translated as
maybe "initialed" or "signed". Can somebody like Father Taggart suggest an
appropriate translation?

I certainly need and would appreciate some help with this!

Charly

This thread: