QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2001-06 > 0991542871

Subject: [Q-R] French name changes
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 00:34:45 EDT

In a message dated 06/03/2001 12:06:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

<< I resent especially my g-g-g-grandfather's decision >>

Hi Yvonne,

It may not have been your g-g-g- grandfather's decision to change his name,
it may have happened when he came into the U.S. when some govt. official
could not spell a french name, but knew it's meaning. Perhaps your
g-g-g-grandfather could not read or write at that time and called himself
LeBrun anyway, even if on documents his name was written as Brown. The name
LeBrun does in fact mean "the brown one", so at least it is a translation and
not a "bastardization" or "massacre" of his name.

Regards,
Linnie

This thread: