QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2000-11 > 0974130810

From: "Gary Boivin" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Translation please???
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 08:53:30 -0700

Domestique was used for general handyman, a man servant or all the people in
the personal employ of an individual to keep his house or farm or boarding
house working.

Females were not called "domestique" when they worked within the home. They
were classed as "ménagère"... as in menagerie.

Majordome is a butler. The one in charge of the household staff. originally
the term was "Major d'Hommes" which translates to "Major of the men".