QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2003-10 > 1067290514

From: Jo Ann Reynolds <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Charity Hollingsworth m Jonathan Cox-Miami MM
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:35:14 -0600

Thank you so much. This gives me more details. I had heard that Jonathan had been
challenged in Ohio and that all he had to do was claim responsibility and apologize but
that he didn't feel that he was in the wrong and would not admit anything he felt he
didn't do. This was about the time many of the Hinshaw, Cox, and Hollingsworth families
were moving west to IN and IL. I have never found the details.
The information helps me trace their movement and now I can start looking for more
details. A problem is with the names John and Jonathan Cox in each generation! Jonathan
Cox died in 1829 in Warren Co IN. His wife Charity was the adminitrator of his estate but
remarried to Mr Monroe. He may have died also as I found a later marriage record for
Charity Monroe just a few years later. I have never found a tombstone or cenus record for
her after her remarriage. I never found any record for her being disowned for marrying
out either. John Cox died in Warren Co IN about 1834-5 and also had a lengthy probate
file. I think some of the records have since been confused. I was able to determine that
Jonathan Cox had a mill on his land. His son Jonathan was mentioned in Charity's
admission to Vermilion Grove meeting. From later census records I learned that Jonathan
and Prudence Mickle Cox also had sons John Joseph and William. Again I don't know what
happened to William but John and Joseph both moved to Pulaski Co IN and served in the
Civil war. John was director of the Pulaski Co Farm for many years. Joseph m. Katy Ann
(Catherine Ann) Phillips whose grandparents had also lived near Frederick Co/ Hampshire Co
VA in 1700's. For the record, Josephs' youngest daughter, Mathilda "Tillie Jane Cox" m.
Earl Maskel and moved back to Vermilion Co IL and was very active in the Georgetown
Friends Church. I don't know that she knew that her ancestors had been pioneer member of
the local Friends movement. When I was a child visiting her home I kept very quiet but oh
how I wish now that I had asked many questions!
Joseph's granddaughter, Catherine Cox Stackhouse, was a Methodist missionary to Africa.

About the records flooding, this area is in the Wabash River Valley. S. Vermilion co
IL/IN and Parke Co IN have a rich Quaker heritage. I grew up here and had no idea that I
had history in the local Friends community! Unlike other denominations, many of the old
Friends meetings are still active. The Georgetown church has recently gone back to
traditional "quiet" meetings on Sunday evenings.