QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2003-04 > 1051140099

Subject: Re: [Q-R] I'm new here
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:21:39 EDT

writes:

> did you find there were other major reasons for
> their seeking new horizons?

Lisa - I think I came across some evidence of early Quakers physically trying
to move away from the reforms within the movement. These were seekers who
found that second generation Quakerism was moderating and structuring itself
into something they didn't want - I think a significant number of these
dissenting rough Quakers did try to hang on to their anarchical ways at the
periphery of Fox's rapidly establishing monthly meeting system.

In short they were first-wave Quakers (old hippies) who didn't care for the
later organised Quakerism. They tried to find quieter places to hang on to
their old ways (Barbados, The Carolina's etc).

I could be wrong though and I'm not sure how major it all was - but If I ever
get around to doing an M.Phil I'll look more closer for answers.
Derek

This thread: