QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2002-12 > 1039381844

Subject: Re: [Q-R] HORN
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 16:10:44 EST

Ralph: Thanks so much. I have possibly been going about this the wrong way,
due to information from a cousin that she is positive our Horns were from
Scotland. Therefore, I have passed over information that would have led me
to look elsewhere. I have also been searching on "hunches" as Nathaniel Horn
was taxed as an unmarried man in 1753 in Chester Co., Pa., then married into
a staunch Quaker family. Although his wife was disowned for marrying out of
faith, I still was working under the assumption that he was living as a young
single man in a Quaker area and married into a solid Quaker family from
England, immediately removing to N.C. to another predominately Anglo Quaker
area and becoming a member of the New Garden MM in Guildford Co.and raised
his children Quaker. It just seemed to point that he was from a Quaker
background and from Chester Co. It seems as I research that young men more
often than not married in their original hometown, then with their wife took
off for a new beginning in a new area. That may be lopsided thinking, but I
had to start somewhere. I have also, as I said, stuck with the Horn spelling
being under the impression that he was from Scotland. I have looked for the
Horne spelling also, but have stayed away from Van Horn. It is just too
Germanic or Dutch and I couldn't fathom at that time - 1754- that someone of
Dutch heritage would be allowed to marry into an English Quaker family. That
the spelling "Horn" has stayed that for the last 8 generations in my family
does not necessarily mean that it was not spelled with an e prior to
Nathaniel. You should see the variations on his daughter in law's maiden
name: Thornbrough! All in the same generation there are five different
spellings. It has also been my experience in my research of other branches
of my great plus grandparents of "reform" protestant persuasion who settled
on the Eastern seaboard after arrival in America that the Germans married
Germans, the Swedes married Swedes, the Swiss married Swiss all remaining
within their particular brand of reform protestantism and didn't vary from
this until the late 1800's, but certainly not in the 1700's. How they all
eventually ended up in Texas together is I suppose the fascination of the
study of genealogy!
Anyway, the search goes on and I thank you for your input. I wonder since
your Horne line is from Chester if there is a connection from the 1700's and
yours just stayed put and mine went wandering off. Sara

This thread: