QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2002-08 > 1030730794

From: "James L. Stokes" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Original Rights Warrants
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:06:34 -0400

Hi Josette,
I've never heard of the "Original Rights Warrants. The original books
were kept in Philadelphia and are now in the Pa. State Archives in
Harrisburg, you might check their web page. The term "Rights" in
Pennsylvania is generally associated with the liberties given to citizens
and not associated with land.
I have a booklet called, "William Penn's Orignial Proposal and Plan for
the Founding & Building of Philadelphia in Pennsylvania, America, in 1683".
(Reprinted by James Coleman, Genealogical Bookseller, 9 Tottenham Terrace,
White Hart Lane, Tottenham, Near London, North, 1881).
This booklet lists the original purchasers of Pennsylvania, including
lots in Philadelphia. There is a second booklet called "An Explanation of
the Map of the City and Liberties of Philadelphia" by John Reed. Originally
published by Mr. Nicholas Brooks, in Second Street between Market and
Chestnut Streets (Phila.), 1774. This was reprinted by Charles I. Warner,
No 29 South Sixth Street, Philadelphia, reprint published in 1870.

Jim