QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 1998-09 > 0906782645

From: Sharon Minton Hill <>
Subject: re: Quakers & Slavery
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 21:04:05 -0700

I had never thought about Quakers having slaves before I got a copy of my
6th great grandfather:

In the name of God Amen the seventh day of February in the year of our Lord
1761
I Henry Lamb of the Parish of Saint Luke in the County of Rowan & Province
of North Carolina being very sick and weak in body but of perfect mind and
memory, thanks be given to God, therefore calling to mind the mortality of
my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die do make &
enter this my last Will & Testament, that is to say princaply & first of
all I give and recommend my Soul into the Hands of God that gave it & for
my body I recommend it to the earth to be buried in a Christian like manner
at the descretion of my Executors and as touching such worley estate
wherewith it has pleased God to bless me in this life I give & dispose of
the same in the following manner & form - - - it is my will & I do order
that in the first place all my just debts & funeral charges be paid &
satisfied.
Item. I give and bequeath unto Elizabeth my dearly beloved wife all &
singler full power & authority, rite & title to all that is mine or
belonging to me during her life if she continues a widow and at her death
or marig to be regular divided between Isom, Jacob & Joseph, Elisabeth &
Bathia only reserving the wench ____ to Joseph my son & Jacob & Isum to
have the wench Letty to Isum & Jacob. The land in ___ to my three sons
Isum, Jacob & Joseph, and if my son Isum will not come up heer to live on
the land, I leave the hole land to my son Jacob & Joseph whom I likewise
constitute make & order my only & sole Executors of this my last Will &
Testament.
Item. I give & bequeath unto my son Thomas Lamb, Isaac & Mary an English
Shiling appes to be paid by my Executors after my desese utterly disalowing
revok & disannul all and evry other former Testament Wills & Exct. by me in
any ways before this time named willed & bequeathed ratifying & confirming
this & no other to be my last Will & Testament. In witness whereof I have
hereunto set my hand & seal the day & year first above writing.

Before sining & sealing the two Negro wenches disposed of to the one named
___ to Joseph & the other wench named Leaty to Isaac & Jacob.
Signed sealed pronounced & ___ by
said Henry Lambe as his last Will &Henry X Lambe
Testament in the presence of us the
subscribers
Crs. Nation
Benjamin Beeson

This Henry's family - I descend through son Reuben Lamb

Henry1 Lamb [1079], born 1697; died 10 Feb 1761 in St. Luke Parish, Rowan
Co., N.C.. He married (1) in 1722/23, Gulielma ???? ((---)) Lamb [1922],
died 1738. He married (2) on 4 Feb 1739, Elizabeth (Henley ??) Lamb
[1923], born 1700; died 1774 in 9, 17, 1774, Rowan Co., n.C..
Children of Henry LAMB and Gulielma ???? (---) were as follows:
+2iThomas2 Lamb [1915], born 1723/24 in , Nansemond Co., Va.. He married
Sarah (Moore) Lamb [1927].
3iiMary2 Lamb [1916], born 1726 in , Nansemond Co., Va.. She married on
2 Sep 1748 in , Perquimans Co., N.C., Joseph Sanders [1928], born 1725;
died 1781 in , S.C
+4iiiWilliam2 Lamb [1917], born 1728 in , Nansemond Co., Va.. He married
Meriam (Newby) Lamb [1929].
+5ivIsaac2 Lamb [1918], born 1730 in , Nansemond Co., Va.. He married
Elizabeth (Nixon) Lamb [1930].
+6vReuben2 Lamb [1077], born 4 Jul 1732 in , Nansemond Co., Va.. He
married Martha (Moore) Lamb [1078].
+7viEsau2 Lamb [1919], born 1734 in Nansemond Co., VA. He married
Elizabeth (Newby) Lamb [1931].
+8viiRobert2 Lamb [1926], born 1735 in , Va.. He married Rachel (Taylor)
Lamb [1936].
+9viiiJacob2 Lamb [1920], born 1736/41 in , Nansemond Co., Va.. He
married Sarah (Stone) Lamb [1932].
+10ixJoseph2 Lamb [1921], born 1738 in , Nansemond Co., Va.. He married
Frances (Beeson) Lamb [1933].

Children of Henry LAMB and Elizabeth HENLEY ?? were as follows:
+11iBethia Bethiah2 Lamb [1924], born 10 Jan 1740 in , Guilford Co.,
N.C.. She married Benjamin Beeson [1934].
+12iiElizabeth2 Lamb [1925], born 1741 in , Perquimans Co., N.C.. She
married Samuel Osborne [1935].

Sharon Minton Hill
e-mail: : 2270585

L@@king for: ALTUM; AVANT/AVENT; BOBBITT; CHARLES; COCHRAN; COCK; DAILEY;
DALTON; DICKENSON; DURNEL; ESKUE; FITE; GOAD; HILL; JENNINGS; LAMB; LARGEN;
MINTON; NESTER; NEWBY; NICHOLSON; OGLE; PASLEY; PATE; PHILLIPS; POSEY;
PURSER; SEMONES; TACKETT; WALDROP; WORRELL

This thread: