QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 1998-08 > 0904543756

From: Bill and Jean Keiser <>
Subject: Re: QUAKER-ROOTS-D Digest V98 #355
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 01:09:16 -0500

Dear Don,
I hope you can help me.....my Mother's father was Walter Goldsberry Allee. He was
from Bloomingdale, Indiana. He was married in New Orleans to Viola Mae Murphy, my
Mother's mother. He died in 1947, I'm not quite sure exactly when, but I can find
out from my Mother's sister. Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,

> #11 Re: Christopher Hussey ["Paul Redden" <>]
> #12 Re: Christopher Hussey []
> #13 Western New York Quakers ["Georgianne Bowman" <]
> #14 Goldsbury Ind. Quaker records [Don Cordell <>]
> Administrivia:
> To unsubscribe from QUAKER-ROOTS-D, send a message to
> that contains in the body of the message the command
> unsubscribe
> and no other text. No subject line is necessary, but if your software
> requires one, just use unsubscribe in the subject, too.
> Subject: Re: GARRETSONs of PA to OHIO
> Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 22:29:18 -0400
> From: "Paul Redden" <>
> I have a John Garretson who married Content Hussey in New Castle, DE in 1736
> just before moving to York, PA. As the Hussey's, Cox's and Garretson's were
> closely intermarried I would be interested in any information you might
> find.
> Paul Redden
> descendant of Nathan Hussey and Ann (Cox) Garretson, the above John
> Garretson's mother and brother-in-law, as well as John's other
> brother-in-law, John Hussey III. My Hussey descendants were later in
> Jefferson, OH as well.
> http://users.inna.net/~redden
> For Census microfilmed records on CD visit
> http://www.digital-antiquities.com/census.htm
> -----Original Message-----
> From: <>
> To: <>
> Date: Tuesday, August 11, 1998 8:46 PM
> Subject: GARRETSONs of PA to OHIO
> >I am a newcomer to the list.
> >I recently discovered two things about my GARRETSON family.
> >One is that they were Quakers and Two is that they were supposedly from
> York.
> >This is what I didn't/don't know.
> >What I do know is as follows:
> >ggg-gf was John (census lists from PA)
> >gg-gf Joseph b/1824 m/Mary Jane GREER of Indiana -- In Jefferson Co. Ohio
> >ggf William Bates b/1847 m/Sarah 'Carrie' HAYNES b/1857
> > Carrie's father George b/1829
> in
> >England
> >m/Mary Jane DeYarmon
> >gf George 'Scott' b/ 1882 m/Emma 'Florence' Hooper
> >father George Naylor b/1908
> >In scanning the online data, I find NUMEROUS Garretsons, Bates, 'Scotts,
> >Naylors with a sprinkling of Norris, Cowgill, Paxton, and Hooper. These
> names
> >carry through from the Southern and SEastern PA, and New Castle, DE., into
> the
> >Jefferson and Belmont Cos of Ohio. Also learned that many of these family
> >names have a Quaker background.
> >My dilemma is this fellow John. What family? What town? What parents? And
> 1.22778 Sarah E. GARRETSON m George LINGENFELTER
> *1.22771 Joseph GARRETSON m Mary M. GRIER
> 1.227711 William GARRETSON m 25 Mar 1879 Carrie L. HINES
> 1.227712 Susie GARRETSON m Henry BLAZER
> 1.227713 Elizabeth GARRETSON m 5 Mar 1876 John b. NEIL
> -------------------------------------------------------------
> Here's an outline of the descendancy you outline -- if you would like the
> entire line as I have it, I'll be glad to send. As you can see, the
> families are large and most lines are carried down. GARRETSON is a
> collateral for me, but I have 4 direct lines that intertwine.
> I will also send you the sources in a separate message so as not to make
> this response too long.
> Good hunting! ...Candy :)
> Subject: GARRETSONs of PA to OHIO
> Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 22:52:51 -0400
> From: Candy Roth <>
> Please excuse! On my post re: GARRETSONs: PA/OH, I muddled the death date
> for John GARRETSON b Holland. The dod is supposed to read Bef 5 Mar 1694!
> Sorry! ....Candy :)
> Subject: GOLDSBERRY - ref in HINSHAW part 5
> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 22:50:51 +1200
> From: Elwyn Goldsbury <>
> Could some kind person with access to this Quaker
> Genealogy source please retrieve the details for
> GOLDSBERRY 243 as listed on the index to INDIANA
> 1. John GARRETSON b 6 Jul 1715 New Castle, New Castle, DE d 30 Oct 1797
> m 5 Sep 1736 Hockessin MH, New Castle, DE Content HUSSEY, dau of John and An
> Inskeep HUSSEY
> 2. William GARRETSON b ca 1716 d 15 Dec 1792 m 9 Sep 1742 Kennett MH, York,
> PA Mary FRAZIER b ca 1722 d 1782, dau of Alexander and Sarah Coppock
> FRAZIER
> 3. Joseph GARRETSON (no information)
> 4. Ann GARRETSON m 9 May 1736 Hockenssin MH, New Castle, DE Christopher
> 1. Elizabeth HUSSEY b 6 Jul 1737 ,York, PA m 7 Dec 1758 Warrington, York,
> PA Joseph COMBER, son of Robert and Rebecca Houghton COMBER
> 2. Stephen HUSSEY b 7 Oct 1739 ,York, PA
> 3. Naomi HUSSEY b 29 Jan 1742 ,York, PA
> 4. Ann HUSSEY b 3 Jul 1744 ,York, PA
> 5. Christopher HUSSEY b 2 Jul 1756 ,York, PA
> I do have these lines carried down in many instances - which child of
> Casparius and Ann Cox GARRETSON is your ancestor?
> Good hunting! ...Candy :)
> Subject: Mliitary involvement
> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 08:57:20 -0400 (EDT)
> From: (Barbara Blossom)
> Hi, Someone sent me info of the Middletown (Bucks Co.) MM. Among the
> marriages was this:
> "Those concerned with those involved in mlitary exercise....William
> Carter, 7/12/1775"
> Can anyone elaborate on this? I know, of course, that Quakers were
> pacifists, but I wonder if anything else ca be said. Thanks.
> BarbB
> Subject: Re: New to List
> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 08:49:48 -0500 (EST)
> From: Thomas Hamm <>
> >Hi,
> >I am new to this list. Recently I discovered that one side of the Family may
> >have been Quakers. I am really unfamiliar with the records that are
> >available or how to obtain them. One of the descendants of Giles Norton b.
> >1794 in SC, became a Univerisal Minister. I have read a little on this and
> >inferred that it was an offshoot of Quakers. Can anyone fill me in on this?
> >I have also located a family in SC that used a lot of the same names that
> >Giles used. I think that this might be a part of his family. They were
> >listed as Quakers, How do I find out more about them?
> >Thanks
> >Lorie
> Universalism was a religious movement that first appeared in England in the
> seventeenth century. It became an important movement in the United States
> after the American Revolution. Most of its doctrines were similar to those
> of other Protestants. The distinguishing tenet was that Universalists did
> not believe in eternal punishment--they thought that all people would
> ultimately go to Heaven.
> Universalism tended to be stronger in the North, especially in New England
> and New York. Some Quakers did become Universalists in the nineteenth
> century, but it's not correct to say that Universalism was an offshoot of
> Quakerism.
> In the twentieth century, a number of Quaker have described themselves as
> universalists, but that's different from the earlier movement.
> Contemporary Quaker universalists do not believe that truth is confined to
> any one religion.
> Subject: Re: Mliitary involvement
> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:08:54 -0500 (EST)
> From: Thomas Hamm <>
> >Hi, Someone sent me info of the Middletown (Bucks Co.) MM. Among the
> >marriages was this:
> > "Those concerned with those involved in mlitary exercise....William
> >Carter, 7/12/1775"
> >Can anyone elaborate on this? I know, of course, that Quakers were
> >pacifists, but I wonder if anything else ca be said. Thanks.
> >BarbB
> The Discipline was explicit that Friends were not to engage in any kind of
> military activities. But there were always Friends who decided that the
> rules were wrong and violated them. Sometimes they did so as an act of
> conscience. My impression is that sometimes young Friends who were
> birthright members reached maturity and decided that they didn't want to be
> Quakers and lived accordingly. In wartime that often meant serving in the
> army.
> Subject: Garretson
> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 07:13:38 -0700
> From: Russell <>
> Thanks Candy for the Garretson information..(Elizabeth Hussey & Joseph Comber)
> I descend from Christopher Hussey & Ann Garretson through their son,
> Stephen Hussey m. Martha Chamness. I can help with this line and I would
> appreciate help with the other two daughters, Naomi & Ann and especially
> the son, Christopher b. 1756..
> Virginia
> Subject: Christopher Hussey
> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:54:59 EDT
> From:
> I descend from Christopher Hussey and Theodate Batchilier through John Hussey.
> My information on Christopher's other children is sketchy, at best. Any
> information
> that anyone could provide me would be very helpful.
> Thankyou.
> Margaret Todd
> Subject: Re: Christopher Hussey
> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:08:00 -0400
> From: "Paul Redden" <>
> Check out
> http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/r/e/d/Paul--Redden/GENE8-0001.html
> for descendants of Christopher Hussey and theodate Batchiler. Most of what
> I have is on John's (New Castle, DE, York Co. PA) descendants though I do
> have a quite a bit of info on his brother Stephen's (Nantucket) line and
> have the spouses of many of the daughters.
> Paul Redden
> http://users.inna.net/~redden
> for high resolution US Census microfilms on CD visit
> http://www.digital-antiquities.com/census.htm
> ----------
> > From:
> > To:
> > Subject: Christopher Hussey
> > Date: Wednesday, August 12, 1998 10:54 AM
> > I descend from Christopher Hussey and Theodate Batchilier through John
> Hussey.
> > My information on Christopher's other children is sketchy, at best. Any
> > information
> > that anyone could provide me would be very helpful.
> > Thankyou.
> > Margaret Todd
> > ==== QUAKER-ROOTS Mailing List ====
> > Post a Quaker Query - http://www.rootsweb.com/~quakers/queries.htm
> Subject: Re: Christopher Hussey
> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:39:01 EDT
> From:
> I have quite a bit of information on Stephen HUSSEY which I would be glad to
> share. Let me know how much you want as he was a direct descendent of my
> husband so it goes on for generations.
> Lucy Folger in NC
> Subject: Western New York Quakers
> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:58:29 -0000
> From: "Georgianne Bowman" <>
> I am also new to this list for a few days. Everyone seems to know just
> where to access Quaker records. I don't. Can anyone tell me where to look
> for Quaker records in Western New York, specifically southern Erie County?
> Thanks,
> Georgianne
> Subject: Goldsbury Ind. Quaker records
> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 13:19:18 -0700
> From: Don Cordell <>
> Hi Elwyn
> The only listing for Goldsbury Vol. 5 Page 243, Bloomfield/Bloomingdale
> is for
> 4-13-1887 Omer rec in mbrp
> 1-18-1899 Omer rel on req.
> No other Goldsbury referances Bloomfield MM was in Parke Co, IN that is
> the western central part of the state, and noted for the amount of
> Covered Bridges still in the county.
> Don Cordell