QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 1998-08 > 0903766848

From: Edward Sinker <>
Subject: Re: SISSON, TRIPP, CORNELL, LAWTON, RI
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 07:20:48 +0100

Hi

I find this thread about the Sissons, Lawtons, Tripps & Cornells being
RI Quakers very interesting. Might I also add the surname Sherman/
Shearman to the list. I am descended or related in some way to all
of these lines. Other than my Sherman/Shearmans, later on, I didn't
realize they might have been Quakers.

I descend from Thomas Lawton & his wife Elizabeth Salisbury m. 1635
Cranfield, Bedfordshire, Eng. and settled in Portsmith, RI. The
Genealogical Dictionary of R.I. by John Osborne Austin, reprint, 1958
by the Genealogical Publishing Company has some interesting informa-
tion about Thomas, including his will.

I descend from their daughter Elizabeth Lawton who married Peleg
Sherman 1657 Portsmith, RI. Her siblings are:
* Daniel Lawton m. Rebecca Mott in 1665
* Rebecca Lawton m. Gershom Mott in about1663
* Ann Lawton m. Giles Slocum in 1669
* Sarah Lawton m. George Sisson in 1667
* Isaac Lawton m. 1. Mary Sisson 2. Elizabeth Tallman 3. Naomi Hunt

My earliest record of Thomas Lawton is 1639 when he and 28 others
signed a compact extablishing the town of Portsmith. At this time he
could not have been a Quaker. Does anyone know if he, later on,
belonged to the Society of Friends? Does anyone know when or
what ship Thomas Lawton and his family arrived on?

I find researching the Quakers in the area of RI, MA and NY rather
difficult as there does not seem to be the information available like there
is for my PA Quakers. - Ed

p.s. My ancestor Sarah Cornell m. Philip F. Flagler in 1760 in ?Dutchess Co.,
NY. I don't know anything about her or her ancestry.

Edward Coates Sinker - email:
Church Lea
Bosbury
Herefordshire HR8 1PX