PROFFITT-L Archives

Archiver > PROFFITT > 2001-01 > 0979008842

Subject: Re: Need help connecting ...Joseph PROFFITT / Elizabeth MEEKS
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 20:54:02 -0600

Hi Amy:

I can help you out:

Joseph Bennett Proffitt was born 24 Sep 1826, died 30 April 1901 or 1902 in
Boone Co., Indiana buried in the Mt. Zion Cemetery. He married 17 June 1849 in
Putnam Co., WVA to Elizabeth Meeks, born 7 Jan 1832 died 25 May 1898 in Boone
Co., Indiana buried in the Mt. Zion Cemetery.

Their children are:

Sophia Alice b. 5 Oct 1850 Putnam Co., WVA
Isham W. b. 5 Jan 1853 Putnam Co., WVA
James W. b. 10 Aug 1854
Victoria Nancy b. 19 May 1856 Mason Co., WVA
John Antony b. 16 Apr 1858 Mason Co., WVA
Joseph E. b. 25 Oct or 16 Oct 1859 Mason Co., WVA
George R. b. 4 Jul 1861 Mason Co., WVA
Jesse B. b. 30 Dec 1862 Mason Co., WVA
Henry Washington b. 25 Nov 1864 Mason Co., WVA
Charles b. 4 Apr 1866 Mason Co., WVA
Callie Florence b. 10 Nov 1867 Mason Co., WVA
Laurence b. 19 Apr 1869 Mason Co., WVA
Clarence David b. 26 Dec 1870 Mason Co., WVA

Clarence David died 4 Jan 1961 in San Angelo, Texas buried in the Belvedere
Cemetery, married 24 Apr 1901 in McCombs City, Mississippi to Ina May Quin, born
19 May 1878 in Homesville, Misssissippi died 13 July 1975 in San Angelo, Texas
buried in the Belvedere Cemetery. They had two daughters, Ruth Elizabeth
Proffitt born 13 Sep 1907 in Catchoula, Louisiana and Mary Kathryn Proffitt born
31 Aug 1915 in Pecos Co., Texas. Both daughters also lived in San Angelo and
are now both deceased.

Joseph Bennett Proffitt was the first child of Wilson and Sophia (Pace) Proffitt
who were married 20 Dec 1825 in Fluvanna Co., VA. Several descandants of Wilson
and Sophia are living in Meigs Co., Ohio today.

Wilson was born about 1798 in Virginia. I have not been able to connect
Wilson. Fluvanna adjoins Goochland, so the area would indicate that he is a
Sylvester descendant.

I hope this helps everyone out.

Thanks,

Fred Davis
Dallas, Texas

wrote:

> Hi all ...
> Hope everyone is enjoying the new year so far .. I've been trying to dig out
> from under a pile of papers on my desk. Came across this earlier today ....
>
> Joseph PROFFITT (born Rockbridge Co., VA) married Elizabeth MEEKS (born
> Putnam Co., WV)
>
> Children:
> - George Richard PROFFITT (born 1861 Mason Co., WV) sp. Matilda A. Kincaid
> - Clarence PROFFITT (court reporter in San Angelo, TX for a time)
> - Jesse PROFFITT
> - James PROFFITT (born Maon Co., WV)
> - Henry PROFFITT (undertaker in Crawfordsville, IN for a time)
> - Isham PROFFITT
>
> Does anyone have this family in their db?? If so ... can you tell me where
> they fit in??
>
> Amy
>
> Lexington, Ohio

This thread: