POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 2005-07 > 1121851468

From: "Jan Prygoda" <>
Subject: Re: [POLAND] Telephone directory
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:26:10 +0200

With 15 times Przygoda in Mielec I guess this represents about 40-50 inviduals in Mielec. That's already pretty close to 57. Starochowice with 28 telephone listings would represent about 100 indivuals or about 15-20% of the people listed in the surname index in the Kielce province.
I have never spoken with my paternal grandfather. They were killed in the second world war in the Soviet Union. I was born over 20 years later. My father said once Mielec or surrondings but he also said that he was from Tarnopol while Wierzchowce is 30-40 kilometres south of Tarnopol. If they really were from Western Galicia Mielec is likely as Swietokrzyskie was not Austrian in 1900. I still keep Eastern Galicia open as I see many with the name Przygoda in the German teritories and there is something with Czes' pow.. Kopyczynce listed with my aunt born in 1911 in a list published in Africa in the war.
Another question, my father always said he was at Technical Gymnasium before the war. How far away from Chorostkow/Wierzchowce would one have to go to attend a Technical Gymnasium. Is Chorostkow big enough to host a Technical Gymnasium ?

With kind regards,
Jan