POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 2005-07 > 1121810761

From: "Dennis Benarz" <>
Subject: Re: [POLAND] Telephone directory
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:06:01 -0500

Hi Jan

Polish telephone directories (including the online directory) are structured
so that you must know province, city/town/village, and surname. If you enter
Mielec as the "miasto" (city/town/village), the results will be only for the
incorporated city of Mielec. Neighboring villages such a Zlotniki and
Cyranka will not be included in the results. The directories are very
location specific and no "metropolitan area" directories (which mix the
listings of multiple towns together to form a single list) exist to my
knowledge.

Further, telephone subscribers are protected by Polish privacy laws This
means that only those persons who have expressly agreed to appear in the
directory can be found there.

This makes the use of Polish telephone directories somewhat difficult as a
research tool unless you know the exact place to look. However, because your
grandfather said he was from Mielec, we could easily used the telephone
directory to confirm that Przygodas are indeed still present in Mielec.
Thus, Polish telephone directories should really be used only to confirm
what we already suspect to be true.

It will take a different tactic to reveal the locations of the many
Przygodas living in old Kielce Province.

The 1990 Polish Census results are the number of individuals, not families,
using the surname. So, it is possible that many, most, or all of the 57
Przygodas residing in Rzeszow Province were counted in the Mielec area.

Good luck!

Dennis