POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 2005-07 > 1121637387

From: "Jan Prygoda" <>
Subject: Family search
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 23:58:15 +0200

Hello,

My relatives do nothing have to do with the USA. I checked the information at Ellis Island thanks to another person at this list but 33 people who went to the USA do not hive me a clue for a surname that has a frequency of almost 4000 in Poland. Przygoda has its strongholds in the provinces of Swietokrzyskie (550 in the former province of Kielce) and some parts of Slask/Silesia. Mielec is just south of Swietokrzyskie and at the border of the Austrian part of Poland.
The information I know is that my father was born on June, 24 in 1923 in Osada Wierzchowce which was in the province of Tarnopol. I think the Osada Wierzchowce is Wierzchowce close to Chorostkow. According to the information in the 1929 directory Roman-Catholics from Wierzchowce went to church in Chorostkow. According to the archive database information is available at the civil records office in Warsaw.
My (late) father told me that an uncle served in the Austrian army and that the family lived in the Austrian part of Poland. When I asked him some more detailed information he said Mielec or close to Mielec. I need to verify this. My grandfather settled in the old borderlands after the Soviet-Polish war of 1920. I need to verify this as I do not know if the oral sources are 100% correct.
I am going to send an e-mail to the civil records office in Warsaw and I plan to write the military archives in Warsaw as my grandfather could have been a soldier who got land in the borderlands from Pilsudski. Maybe I get to know through this where the family was located before they settled in the Osada Wierzchowce.

With kind regards,
Jan