PLACE-L Archives

Archiver > PLACE > 2003-03 > 1048026014

From: "JOHN FOLSOM" <>
Subject: [PLACE] Re: William Simmons Place
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:20:14 -0500

I seem to recall replying to this message, Doug, but my files have been cleaned -- so I'll start over.

I show William Simmons Place, son of Samuel and Martha (Jones) Place, as being born 31 Dec 1765 (credit,yours). He would have turned 21 in 1786.

The children of Samuel and Martha were:
Deliverance 1759
Sarah 1761
Griffin 1763
Daniel 1764
WILLIAM 1765
Mary 1769
Phoebe 1777

I suspect Daniel may have been born in 1767. This would make for a child every other year.

I show the first daughter as Martha. Reasonable, given her mother's name.
I've estimated her y.o.b. as 1787.

I show the second daughter as Ann. I've estimated her y.o.b. as 1788, given her marriage date as 17 Feb 1816.

He is shown in the 1790 census in Charlotte, Chittenden Co., VT, with two daughters [01 00 03]. This seems reasonable for a man of 25 years.
(Thomas Place, who named a son William Simmons Place, was NOT a son of William's. He was almost certainly born in Clarendon, VT, in 1790, a son of Nathan Place.)

He is probably the William S. Place who was accepted as a freeman in Hinesburg in 1798 as were Samuel and Daniel.

* If he was born on December 31, 1765, as claimed by Don Douglas, he would have been but 10-1/2 on July 4, 1776, when the Revolutionary War started, and barely 18 when it ended in 1783. It seems strange that he would be counted in Charlotte, Vermont, in 1790, and be declared a freeman in Hinesburg in 1798, after service in the British Army, especially since his oldest brother, Griffin, had served in the war in the American army.