PITTMAN-L Archives

Archiver > PITTMAN > 1999-05 > 0927859770

From: "I am who I have always been." <>
Subject: The Whole Native American question ... no answers.
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 22:49:30 -0400

Pat,
I have tried Betty's email (did not know she was Grace's daughter) .. I will
let you know if it works for me.

I really do not like questions about Indian ancestry, since they are almost
universally impossible to answer. In making my marriage records files I
found this list of counties which were appropriated by the white man moving
into the American "Wilderness" ... I have to tell you, it makes me very
uncomfortable, especially now, with the news coming out of Yugoslavia.
Don't say "that could never happen here." It already has.
This list is just getting started .. I have many more states and counties to
add. Take a look...

Barbour Co AL created in 1832 from Creek Indian Lands Cession
Blount Co AL created in 1818 from Cherokee Indian Lands and Montgomery
Calhoun Co AL created in 1832 from Creek Indian Lands Cession
Chambers Co AL created in 1832 from Creek Indian Lands Cession
Cherokee Co AL created in 1836 from Cherokee Indian Lands Cession
Coosa Co AL created in 1832 from Creek Indian Lands Cession
DeKalb Co AL created in 1836 from Cherokee Indian Lands Cession
Franklin Co AL created in 1818 from Cherokee and Chickasaw Indian Lands
Cession
Jackson Co AL created in 1819 from Cherokee Indian Lands Cession
Lauderdale Co AL created in 1818 from Cherokee and Chickasaw Indian Lands
Cession
Lawrence Co AL created in 1818 from Cherokee and Chickasaw Indian Lands
Cession
Limestone Co AL created in 1818 from Cherokee and Chickasaw Indian Lands
Cession
Macon Co AL created in 1832 from Creek Indian Lands Cession
Madison Co AL created in 1808 from Cherokee and Chickasaw Indian Lands
Cession
Marengo Co AL created in 1818 from Choctaw Indian Lands Cession
Marshall Co AL created in 1836 from Blount, Cherokee Indian Lands Cession
and Jackson
Monroe Co AL created in 1815 from Creek Indian Lands Cession and Washington
Randolph Co AL created in 1832 from Creek Indian Lands Cession
Russell Co AL created in 1832 from Creek Indian Lands Cession
Sumter Co AL created in 1832 from Choctaw Indian Lands Cession
Talladega Co AL created in 1832 from Creek Indian Lands Cession
Tallapoosa Co AL created in 1832 from Creek Indian Lands Cession
Tuscaloosa Co AL created in 1818 from Cherokee and Choctaw Indian Lands
Cession

Appling Co GA created in 1818 from Creek Indian Lands
Baldwin Co GA created in 1803 from Creek Indian Lands
Carroll Co GA created in 1826 from Indian Lands
Coweta Co GA created in 1826 from Indian Lands
Dooly Co GA created in 1821 from Indian Lands
Early Co GA created in 1818 from Creek Indian Lands
Fayette Co GA created in 1821 from Indian Lands and Henry
Franklin Co GA created in 1784 from Cherokee Indian Lands
Gwinnett Co GA created in 1818 from Cherokee Indian Lands and Jackson
Habersham Co GA created in 1818 from Cherokee Indian Lands and Franklin
Hall Co GA created in 1818 from Cherokee Indian Lands, Jackson and Franklin
Henry Co GA created in 1821 from Indian Lands and Walton
Houston Co GA created in 1821 from Indian Lands
Irwin Co GA created in 1818 from Indian Lands, Coffee and Telfair
Lee Co GA created in 1826 from Indian Lands
Monroe Co GA created in 1821 from Indian Lands
Muscogee Co GA created in 1826 from Creek Indian Lands, Harris, Lee and
Marion
Paulding Co GA created in 1832 from Cherokee Indian Lands, Carroll and Cobb
Rabun Co GA created in 1819 from Cherokee Indian Lands and Habersham
Troup Co GA created in 1826 from Indian Lands
Union Co GA created in 1832 from Cherokee Indian Lands and Lumpkin
Walton Co GA created in 1818 from Cherokee Indian Lands
Washington Co GA created in 1784 from Indian Lands
Wayne Co GA created in 1803 from Indian Lands, Appling, Glynn and Camden
Wilkinson Co GA created in 1803 from Creek Indian Lands Cession

Smith Co MS created in 1833 from Choctaw Indian Lands Cession

Harper Co OK created in 1907 from Indian Lands, Woods and Woodward

Bradley Co TN created in 1836 from Indian Lands

Northumberland Co VA created in 1648 from Indian District of Chickacoan

And we have all heard of the Trail of Tears ...

Dawes Final Rolls
The Dawes Commission was organized in 1893 to accept applications for tribal
enrollment between 1899 and 1907 (some were added as late as 1914), mostly
from Indians who resided in the Indian Territory which later became the
State of Oklahoma. Tribal membership entitled qualified individuals to land
allotments from the U.S. Government. These enrollment records were
eventually published as the Dawes Commision, also known as The Five
Civilized Tribes, which consisted of the Cherokee, Choctaw, Chikasaw, Crow,
Creek and Seminole Tribes.

These Following persons were listed on the Dawes Rinal Rolls .. I believe
they were living in Oklahoma (Indian Territory) .. I make no assumptions
about how they might have been related to each other, and have no
information about their descendants.
To be an official Native American, one must have had an ancestor listed on
one of the original lists, and be able to prove it with documentation.
To be a real Native American, one must feel it in their heart and in their
bones, and who cares about the paperwork...
If someone among us decides to work more on this, I hope he/she will share
findings with the list.
Bev

1 Page Surname Given Name Age Gender/Blood Census card
number Tribe
1 3737 525 Pitman Arthur 4 M 1/8
1154 Creeks by Blood
1 9456 599 Pitman Cecil 1 1/2 M 1/8
3478 Creeks by Blood
1 70 572 Pitman Clarence 1 M 1/8
90 Minor Creeks by Blood
1 432 574 Pitman Edith Lucinda 1 F 1/2
318 Minor Creeks by Blood
1 3731 525 Pitman Edward 16 M 1/8
1154 Creeks by Blood
1 3733 525 Pitman Homer 12 M 1/8
1154 Creeks by Blood
1 3732 525 Pitman Laurel 14 M 1/8
1154 Creeks by Blood
1 3730 525 Pitman Lewis 18 M 1/8
1154 Creeks by Blood
1 1833 513 Pitman Lucinda 26 F Full
565 Creeks by Blood
1 3736 525 Pitman Mary 6 F 1/8
1154 Creeks by Blood
1 848 568 Pitman Moses 3 M 1/16
913 New Born Creeks by Blood
1 1660 124 Pitman Nora 30 F I W
6077 Choctaws by Intermarriage
1 3729 524 Pitman Rosanna 34 F 1/4
1154 Creeks by Blood
1 3735 525 Pitman Rosella 8 F 1/8
1154 Creeks by Blood
1 1834 513 Pitman Rowie Elizabeth 7 F 1/2
565 Creeks by Blood
1 3738 525 Pitman Sammie 2 F 1/8
1154 Creeks by Blood
1 608 567 Pitman Vonnie 2 M 1/16
640 New Born Creeks by Blood
1 3734 525 Pitman Walter 10 M 1/8
1154 Creeks by Blood
1 6588 541 Pittman Celia 9 F 3/8
2138 Creeks by Blood
1 6587 541 Pittman Jennie 31 F 3/4
2138 Creeks by Blood
1 354 209 Pittman W.R. 43 M I W
1711 Chickasaws by Intermarriage

Bev
whose WILKINS ancestors were all from Robeson Co NC .. shrouded in mystery,
and likely to remain so.

This thread: