PINSON-L Archives

Archiver > PINSON > 2001-01 > 0981004123

From: James Pinson <>
Subject: Early Pinsons in America
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 00:08:43 -0500

PINSON HEADS OF HOUSEHOLD IN AMERICA TO 1849

By James Pinson
with help from Lou Hixson, Gary Pinson, Raymond Leslie Price, Ken
Burke, Brad Ziegler and David Earl Pinson

August-October 1999
Revised January 30, 2001

This list began as a tool I put together to help me get the
big picture about which Pinsons were where at what time. It has
proved useful, among other things, in deducing to whom someone was
likely to be most closely related.
A year or twoago, I asked some of the most knowledgeable
Pinson researchers I know to look it over and make any comments,
corrections or additions. I've tried to pass the list along several
times here on PINSON-L but don't think it ever went through because
of its length. Raymond Leslie Prince has since told me thesize limit
has been expanded, so I'm trying again now that I've revised it a
little.
I hope this makes it through and that you may find it helpful
. I also hope you'll have your own ideas to send me to add to
possible future versions. I view this as a work in progress.
This list is taken mainly from Census indexes, Census records
and to a lesser extent tax records. It tells the state, year, name of
Pinson and county in which that head of housebold lived at the time.
Where I have it, I have included township or district, page number
and census data. The names with a last name in capital letters
indicate a possible variation on the spelling of Pinson that could
possibly prove useful.
Less comprehensive are the sporadic additional data from
immigration records, land records, wills, court records, and so forth.
Obviously, this list is far from complete. I'm not sure that
it has even all the Census information that I have in the notes for
various people in my files. Also, I have many additional references
to Pinsons during this time period I haven't added -- such as
marriage, court and land records -- that would take too long right
now to pull out of my alphabetical file of names.
Because this list was compiled from a number of sources,
there are some discrepancies in it and perhaps some duplication too
that has gone undetected.
But this list is a start that can be added to later. In the
meantime, it seems useful to me as a way of beginning to get a handle
on sorting out who was where when and perhaps saving some time
locating ancestors.
I think useful projects for us would be to try to expand on
the entries in any way possible, including trying to identify whom
each of these people was a child of. I've labeled ones where I think
I know or have guesses. It's possible I could figure out some more of
these if my database were indexed by place as well as individual
name, but it isn't. So I leave further identification for now to
researchers with a special interest in particular people or locales.
People who have contributed to this list through their
legwork include, as it says at the top, Lou Hixson, Gary Pinson, Ken
Burke, David Earl Pinson, Raymond Leslie Price and Brad Ziegler, in
addition to their own network of contacts and compilers of a slew of
indexes I've consulted. (Two things I've learned putting this
together: Different indexes for the same Census often contain
different, even contradictory data, and most indexes for 1830 and
1840 don't seem to provide the actual data -- just name, state,
county and page number.)
Because I want this to be a source of convenience for fellow
Pinson family researchers and not a means for perpetuating errors,
please take the time to review the data you already have collected
and compare with this to see whether it agrees. If you can correct
any errors or add information to what I have, please e-mail me so I
can revise this.
For handy reference reading the Census data, here's what the
numbers mean by Census year, with - meaning "between," < meaning
"less than" and > meaning "more than":

1790 Census
12345
M16>-M<16-Females-Other-Slaves

1800 Census
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
M<10 10-16 16-26 26-45 45> - F<10 10-16 16-26 26-45 F45> Oth Sl

1810 Census
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
M<10 10-16 16-26 26-45 45> - F<10 10-16 16-26 26-45 F45> Oth Sl

1820 Census
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
M<10 10-16 16-18 16-26 26-45 45> - F<10 10-16 16-26 26-45 F45>

1830 Census (by convention, numbers at right end of both male and
female blocks are dropped when zeroes start)
123456789
101112
M<55-10 10-1515-2020-3030-4040-5050-6060-70
70-8080-9090-100

13
100>-

141516171819202122
232425
F<55-1010-1515-2020-3030-4040-5050-6060-70
70-8080-9090-100

26
100>

1840 Census
123456789
101112
M<55-10 10-1515-2020-3030-4040-5050-6060-70
70-8080-9090-100

13
100>-

141516171819202122
232425
F<55-1010-1515-2020-3030-4040-5050-6060-70
70-8080-9090-100

26
100>

ALABAMA
1820
Joab, Dallas Co., 01-01-01-01-04 (Gary Pinson: "My guess is from the
Lunenburg Aaron line." James Pinson: Could he be the same Joab who
married Matilda Dunn on Jan. 28, 1821 in Jones County, GA?)
Joab, Dallas Co.
Joab, Dallas Co.

1821
Joab, Dallas Co.
1823
Joab, Dallas Co.
1830
James N., Lowndes Co., Southern Dist., 275
Joeb (typo for Joab), Dallas Co., 069
Thomas, Jackson Co., W. of 4th Range, 125
Willaim PINRON, Tuscaloosa Co., Southern Dist., 299.
William, Jackson Co., E. of 4th Range, 075
William, Pike Co., Southern Dist., 035
1840
C.M., Dalla Co., 054
E., De Kalb Co., 164
Joel, Coosa Co., Sockoparlog Pct., 289
Joseph, Benton Co., 030, 2220001-1111001 (Gary Pinson says this is
possibly an uncle of his Great-great-grandfather Aristides Brown
Pinson, grandson of Joseph, greatgrandson of the Rev. Aaron.
Aristides was in Alabama about 1880, Gary says, and had an uncle
named Reuben Burch in Benton County. This Joseph "may be another
uncle," he says.
Gary thinks this could be the Joseph Pinson who married Mary Mills in
Anderson Co., SC, on Jan. 29, 1823.)
Thomas, Jackson Co., 055
1849
Joseph Pinson will probated in Calhoun Co.

GEORGIA
1800
James, Oglethorpe Co., 12, 20010-2001004
James, Oglethorpe Co., 000
1805 Land grant lottery winners
Bazil PINKSTON, Washington Co., 1170 BB
Benjamin, Washington Co., 1123 B
C. John PINKSTON, Wilkes Co., 1232 BB
Charlotte PINKSTON (orphan of Shadrack PINKSTON), Wilkes Co., 1317 B
?, Daniel PINKSTON, Washington Co., 1183 BB
Elijah PINKSTON, Hancock Co., 536 B
Greenberry PINKSTON, Hancock Co., 622 BB
Greenberry PINKSTON, Wilkes Co., 1314 B
Henry PINKSON, Hancock Co., 621 BB
Isaac (could this be Aaron Jr.'s son, Isaac Sr.?), Washington Co., 1122 BB
James, Oglethorpe Co., 899 BB
James PINKSON, Hancock Co., 586 BB
Joab (is this the same one who moves on to Alabama by 1820?),
Washington Co., 1124 B
John PINKSON Sr., Hancock Co., 520 BP
John PINKSTON Sr., Washington Co., 1160 BB
John PINKSTON Jr., Hancock Co., 627 B
William (son of Aaron Jr.), Franklin Co., 365 BB
William, Wilkes Co., 1311 BB
William PINION, Burke Co., 42 B
1820
Basil PINKSTON, Wash. Co., 127
George PINTHSON, Jack. Co., 305
Greenberry PINKSTON, Wilk. Co., 166
Gresham PINKSTON, Wilk. Co., 194
John PINKSTON, Hano. Co., 86
Jonathan PINNION, Hall Co., 132
Lingo PINSTON, Washington Co., 146
Mary, Oglethorpe Co., 175
Richard PINNSON, Hall Co., 132
Thomas PENSON Clarke Co., Athens, 145
Thomas B. (son of -- Boyd and Thomas?), Oglethorpe Co., 175
1824
Lingo PINSTON, Washington Co.
Mary, Oglethorpe Co.
Thomas PENSON, Clarke Co., Athens Twp.
Thomas B. (son of -- Boyd and Thomas?) , Oglethorpe Co.
1827
Joseph (Raburn Co.), draws land in Troup and Lee Cos., granted Dec.
30, 1828 and Nov. 4, 1834
Joseph (Jackson Co.) lives in Lindsey's district
Lucy (Clarke Co.), a widow lives in Clarke Co.
1830
Allen, Cass Co., 12th Division, 126
Allen, Hall Co., 119
Augustus, Cass Co., 12th Division, 183
Boyd (son of -- Boyd and Thomas), Oglethorpe Co., 068, 540
Elijah (either this or the next Elijah is son of Margaret Henry and
Moses), Cass Co., 12th Division, 183
Elijah (this Elijah is possibly son of Isaac Sr.), Hall Co., 122
Grandison (related to Grandison in North Carolina in 1830?), Cass
Co., 12th Division, 183
Henry PINSTON, Crawford Co., 398
James (son of -- Boyd and Thomas?), Oglethorpe Co., 069
Joseph (son of -- Boyd and Thomas?), Oglethorpe Co., 067
Joseph (son of Elizabeth -- and the Rev. Aaron), Rabun Co., 226 (Gary
Pinson: "There with son Curtiss. A possible son, William, draws land
from there in 1832. Sons-in-law Fariss, Burch, Burch, Carter also
there.")
Mary, Oglethorpe Co., 068
Matilda, Jackson Co., 45th Subdivision, 047
Moses (either this or the next Moses is son of Elizabeth -- and the
Rev. Aaron), Cass Co., 12th Division, 126
Moses (son of Elizabeth -- and the Rev. Aaron), Cass Co., 183
Moses, Hall Co., 122, 00001001-00010001
Shadrach, Jackson Co., 45th Subdivision, 005
Sterling (son of Lucinda Chandler and William), Franklin Co., 238
Thomas P. (son of -- Boyd and Thomas?), Oglethorpe Co., 068
Thomas P., Oglethorpe Co., 068
1832
Moses (Hall Co.) draws Cherokee Co. land, granted July 1, 1843.
1840
Allen, Carroll Co., 110121-012201
Arbeny?, Carroll Co.
Elijah, Carroll Co., 120001-31001
Isaiah PENSON, Clarke Co., Davis 21 Twp., 208
James PENSON, Madison Co., Grove Hi. Twp., 042
Matilda PENSON (same as Matilda Pinson in same county in 1830
Census?), Jackson Co., 044
Moses, Carroll Co., 0000000001-000000001
Oraina (perhaps Orainy Pinson in Pickens Co., SC, in 1830?), Hall
Co., 60-70 with one male 15-20

ADDITIONAL NOTES
1800-1820
From Gary Pinson () Aug. 28, 1999: "All of
these precede my Pinsons into Ga. and I haven't seriously followed
them. Probably from the Lunenburg Aaron line."
1830
From Gary Pinson () Aug. 28, 1999:
Gary says any Pinsons around Cass/Hall Co., GA, are probably from
Moses (son of the Rev. Aaron) or possibly a brother. He also says he
thinks the children of Curtiss Pinson (Joseph's son, the Rev.
Aaron's grandson), including Curtiss Jr., may have gone to Carroll Co.
1840
From Gary Pinson () Aug. 28, 1999:
"Joseph Pinson's son Aaron in 1840 Gilmer Co. Ga.(was in
Haywood/Macon 1810-30). Aaron's sons Jos., Bartley and A.B. in 1850
Gilmer Co. Ga. Bartley there 1860 and he and brother Joseph served
there Civil War--- last I have of them. Bartley killed at end of war.
Also, in Gilmer was Mary Pinson Burch, Aaron's sister. In Union Co.
was Aaron's sister Emilia Pinson Burch and his daughter Margaret
Kelly etc.
"A.B. Pinson in 1860 Polk Co. Tenn with brother Joseph. In Civil War, Walker
Co Ga. where his Fariss cousins (children of Rebecca Pinson Fariss) lived.
1880 DeKalb. Moved to Crawford Co. Ark. where he died. Son's James, John
and Andrew go from DeKalb to Crawford Co. Ark. Daughter Missourri Pinson
Shirley stays in DeKalb then to Texas c. 1900. Oldest son William Marion
Pinson last seen 1860 and may have died when Sherman went through
Walker Co. Ga. to Atlanta."

ILLINOIS
1830
Aaron (B.) (son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny and Thomas), Edgar Co., 028
Moses, Crawford Co., 018
Thomas (son of Sarah Lycans or Lycan and Aaron B.), Edgar Co., 030
1840
Allen (son of Sarah Lycans or Lycan and Aaron B.), Edgar Co., 072
Jeremiah (son of Sarah Lycans or Lycan and Aaron B.), Edgar Co., 067
Sarah (widow of Aaron B.), Edgar Co., 101

INDIANA
1830
Abijah, Hendricks Co., 113
John, Hendricks Co., 113
William C., Scott Co., 279
1840
Henry (son of Sarah Lycans or Lycan and Aaron B.), Vermillion Co.,
Clinton Twp., 474
John W., Fountain Co., Wabash Twp., 190

ADDITIONAL NOTE
From Ken Burke () Aug. 28, 1999:
"I don't know ... Abijah and John in Hendricks Co. (nor) do I know
the William C. in Scott Co. The John W. in Fountain Co. is also
unknown to me, but Fountain Co. is just east of Vermillion Co., IN."

KENTUCKY
1810
Aaron (B.)(son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny and Thomas), Floyd
Co., 101, 40010-1001000
Allen (son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny and Thomas), Floyd Co.,
101, 00100-1010000
Henry (son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny and Thomas), Floyd Co.,
102, 00010-0001000
Thomas (son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny and Thomas), Floyd Co.,
101, 00101-0210100
William (son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny and Thomas), Floyd Co.,
101, 00100-0010000
Zephaniah (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron?), Warren Co., 269, 12010-2101000
1815 tax list
Aaron Sr. (son of Elizabeth -- and the Rev. Aaron), Allen Co.
Aaron Jr. (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
Joseph (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
Lott (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
1816 tax list
Aaron Sr.(son of Elizabeth -- and the Rev. Aaron), Allen Co.
Aaron Jr.(son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
Joseph (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
Lott (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
Zephaniah (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
1817 tax list
Aaron Sr. (son of Elizabeth -- and the Rev. Aaron), Allen Co.
Aaron Jr. (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
Joseph (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
Lott (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
Zephaniah (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
1819 tax list
Aaron Sr. (son of Elizabeth -- and the Rev. Aaron), Allen Co.
Aaron Jr. (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
Joseph (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
Lott (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
R. John (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
Zephaniah (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
1820
Aaron (son of Elizabeth -- and the Rev. Aaron), Allen Co., 124
Aaron (son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny and Thomas), Floyd Co.
Allen (son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny and Thomas), Floyd Co.
Henry (son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny and Thomas), Floyd Co., 034
Jared (also Jarred or Jarrett)(son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny
and Thomas), Floyd Co., 034
John (son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny and Thomas?), Floyd Co.
Robert W., Allen Co., 124
Thomas (son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny and Thomas), Floyd Co., 034
William (son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny and Thomas), Floyd Co., 034
----ling PINSSTON (Sterling?), Daviess Co.
Peter PINSTON, Simpson Co., 013
1820 tax list
Aaron (son of Elizabeth -- and the Rev. Aaron or of Elizabeth Wells
and Aaron?), Allen Co.
Lot (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
Zephaniah (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
1821 tax list
Aaron (son of Elizabeth -- and the Rev. Aaron or of Elizabeth Wells
and Aaron?), Allen Co.
Lott (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
Nathan (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
Zephaniah (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
1822 tax list
Zephaniah (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
1823 tax list
Zephaniah (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
1824
Zephaniah (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Allen Co.
1830
Allen (son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny and Thomas), Pike Co., 371
Henry (son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny and Thomas), Pike Co.,
Pike City, 377
James PINNION, Calloway Co., 217
Jarred (also Jared or Jarrett)(son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny
and Thomas), Pike Co., Pike City, 377
Josiah (son of Ruth Venable and Zephaniah), Allen Co., 061
William (son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny and Thomas), Pike Co.,
Pike City, 377
Z. (Zephaniah?) (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron?), Allen Co., 069
1840
Allen (son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny and Thomas), Pike Co., 274
Josiah F. Josiah Fowler)(son of Ruth Venable and Zephaniah), Allen Co., 070
Ruth (widow of Zephaniah), Allen Co., 070
Thornton, Franklin Co., N. Division, 328

ADDITIONAL NOTES
From Ken Burke () Aug. 28, 1999:
-- "All that you have marked related to the Pinsons of East Kentucky
are in agreement with my information."
-- "The Pike Co. tax records were placed in the Kentucky State Archives in
Frankfort a few years ago. Floyd Co. records 'ditto' and Floyd Co. Tax
records ars sketchy. They just don't exist prior to 1837. I don't know
what happened to them. Since Pike Co. was created from Floyd Co. in
1822; Floyd Co. Records are of little value for the Pinson Family since
all of them were in the area that became Pike County as far as I can
determine. At least, none were listed in the 1830 census of Floyd Co."

LOUISIANA
1810
J.B., Orleans Parish, 277, 10000-01010
1820
Guillamme, St. Bernard Parish, 065
Joseph, Orleans Parish, New Orleans City Twp., 035

MAINE
1800
Samuel, Esq.,York Co., 728, 00111-2101000

MASSACHUSETTS
1639
Thomas Pinson marries Joane Stanley on Nov. 10, 1639, in Sciutate, Mass.
1664
Edmund Pinson marries Anna Cooper, Aug. 2, 1664, somewhere in:
Middlesex, Hamshire, Bershire and Bristol, Middlesex County, Cambridge
1693
Thomas Pinson marries Sarah Turner, Dec. 26, 1693, Scituate, Mass.
1716
William PINSENT settles in Boston
1755
Thomas Pinson, grandson of Thomas and Sarah Pinson, marries Anne
Taylor; their children were: Elizabeth, born in 1756; William, born
in 1757; and Benjamin, born in 1760.
1777
William, son of the Thomas Pinson who married in 1755, marries
Elizabeth Beal (of Higham); their children were: Deborah, who married
Abel Delano in 1795; Benjamin, born in 1781; Besty, born in 1785,
William Jr., norn in 1787; and Mehitabel, who married Martin Beal in
1816
1787
Benjamin (of Sciutate, Mass.), son of William who married in 1755,
marries Molly Stetson; their children were Polly and Susanna
1830
Asa PINNON Jr., Norfolk Co., Braintree Twp., 161
1840
Perez, Plymouth Co., Scituate, 249
Simeon, Plymouth Co., Scituate, 249

MISSISSIPPI
1820
Daniel B., Wilkinson Co., 136, 000110-10010 (one index had the
figures transposed)
Randal PIERSON, Greene Co.
1830
Anderson, Copiah Co., 2M under 10, 2-10 to 20 1-40 to 60 1F<10 1-10
to 20 1-40 to 60
Nancy (Mrs. Pinson), Wilkinson Co., 2M<10 2-20 to 40 1-40 to 60 1F<10
1-10 to 20 1-40 to 60
(Additional note from James Pinson: I don't know why the previous two
entries don't conform to 1830 Census categories.)
1840
Anderson (is one of these an unknown son of Margery -- and Joseph?),
Newton Co., 11 or 141*, 0001001-01100001
Hillory G. PIERSON, Okt. Co., 128, 000013-000010
J.O. PIERSON, Cla. Co., 78, 00002-20001
Joel PIERSON (Joel Pinson, son of Maacah Williams and Richard; see
notes below from Lou Hixson and James Pinson), Pontotoc Co. 146,
00200002-02100010
John PINZUNT, Smi. Co., 235, 111110001-010210010
L.D. PINKSTON, Att. Co., 8, 20001-11001
Mrs. Nancy Pinson, Wilkinson Co., 35 or 205 or 305*, 1001100-0101001
Nicholas PIERSON, Clk. Co., 131, 0010001-0000001
W.H. PIERSON, Nox. Co. 97. 20001-00001
1849
Osborne J. (Austin J., son of Nancy Henderson and Elihu; see
additional note below from David Earl Pinson), Pontotoc Co., dies in
July 1849 (Mortality Schedule), age 15 of fever; he had been born in
South Carolina

ADDITIONAL NOTES
1840
JOEL PIERSON -- From Lou Hixson by e-mail Sept. 3, 1999:
Lou says she has no doubt the Joel Pierson listed in Pontotoc County
in 1840 is actually Joel Pinson. "The only Pierson listed in 1820 in
MS was Randal in Greene County. There was not a Pierson in the 1830
MS census (I checked two indexes). There were a few Piersons in 1850
but none named Joel and none in Pontotoc County."
From James Pinson, Sept. 4, 1999:
Lou sent me a photocopy of the 1850 Pontotoc Co., MS, Census page
with "Joel PIERSON" on it. It looked to me like the name "Joel
Pinson." What a transcriber had interpreted as an ER was not how the
scribe made R's elsewhere on the page and looked more like the N's on
the page to me.
1849 OSBORNE J. -- From David Earl Pinson by e-mail, Sept. 5, 1999:
"... the boy who died in 1849 was Elihu's son and the correct name
was Austin J.
Pinson -- you know how names get corrupted. He is listed in Elihu's
Bible record,
birth and death dates."
From James Pinson, Sept. 5, 1999:
In support of David Earl Pinson's point and the Bible record he
cites, Elihu Pinson was the only other Pinson head of household than
Joel Pinson in Pontotoc Co., MS, listed in the 1850 Census. None but
Joel was in the 1840 Census. Further, Joel's children were born in
Tennessee, Elihu's in South Carolina in the 1850 Census.

MISSOURI
1823
Joseph (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Franklin Co.
1824
Joseph (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Franklin Co.
1825
Joseph (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Franklin Co.
1830
Aron (typo)(son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Washington Co., Union
Twp., 085, one male 40-50, one male 80-90, one female 30-40, one
female 70-80
Joseph (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Washington Co., Liberty Twp., 076
Lot, Washington Co., Union Twp.
Nathan, Washington Co., Liberty Twp.
Sat (Lot W., son of Elizabeth Wells and Arron; see Brad Ziegler's
note below), Washington Co., Union Twp (listed in at least one index
instead as Liberty Twp.), 076
1840
Aaron (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Washington Co., 191, 2
males 20-30, 1 male 50-60, 1 female 15-20, 1 female 40-50
Joseph (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Washington Co., Liberty
Twp., 181, 1 male under 5, 1 male 10-15, 1 male 40-50, 2 females
under 5, 2 females
15-20, 1 female 30-40
Lot (W. -- sometimes Lott)(son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron),
Jefferson Co., Platteu Twp., 109, 2 males 10-15, 1 male 15-20, 1 male
40-50, 1 female 5-10, 1 female 15-20
Nathen (typo -- Nathan Pinson Sr., middle name possibly Mathew)(son
of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Washington Co., Union Twp., 191, 2
males under 5, 1 male 40-50, 1 female under 5, 2 females 5-10, 1
female 30-40

ADDITIONAL NOTES

1823-1825 tax lists
From Brad Ziegler by e-mail, Sept. 6, 1999: "I found one resource
years ago which was a reference to the MO Tax List (1819-1826) and no
Pinsons were listed. At that time, I probably failed to look for any
variations in spelling though. Normally, I look for Penson, Person, &
Pinsor. I did look at a microfilm recently for "Index of Deed Records
of Franklin County, Mo." (1819-1837) and found no Pinsons, variations
of spellings, or anything close to Pinson. Gary Berry
<> was the one who gave me the information that
Joseph Pinson was in Franklin County, MO for 1823-25.
1830
From Brad Ziegler by e-mail, Sept. 6, 1999: "There is no doubt in my
mind that "Sat" is Lot. The "L-o" was mistaken or misread for "S-a"
when typed or transcribed. Lot was not in Union Twp., but Liberty
Twp. I do not have any numbers for the 1830 Census. You may try
contacting Will Graham <>. He sent me this:
'As far as I can determine, Aaron and Margaret had three children listed in
the 1830 census, two sons and a daughter. One son born 1810-1815, one son
born 1815-1820, and a daughter born 1815-1820.'"

NEW YORK
1810
Francis, New York Co., 146, 00000-10001
1820
Solomon, Rensselaer Co., Grafton Township, 195
1830
Zepheraiah PINSOLE, Montgomery Co., Canajoharie, 024

NORTH CAROLINA
1754
Jane (of Augusta Co., VA?), Rowan Co., married to Swan Rambo and
living with family in Rowan County
1755 Tax List
Aaron (the Rev. Aaron), Orange Co., appears listed twice; no taxable
males black or white other than himself
Joseph (the Rev. Aaron's probable brother), Orange Co. -- appears
listed twice; no taxable males black or white other than himself
1762
Thomas, New Hanover Co., appears listed twice
1768 Tax List
William, Rowan Co.
1769
Aaron (Aaron Jr.), Granville Co.
1771 Tax List
Aaron (Aaron Jr.), Granville Co.
1782 Tax List
Aaron (the Rev. Aaron), Wilkes Co.
Aaron Jr. (son of Elizabeth -- and the Rev. Aaron), Wilkes Co.
John (probably son of Elizabth -- and the Rev. Aaron), Wilkes Co.
Joseph (probably son of Elizabeth -- and the Rev. Aaron), Wilkes Co.
Richard (son of Mary Omohundro and Joseph?), Surry Co.
Thomas PINNON (probably the Thomas Pinson with the Rev. Aaron in
Washington Co., TN, in 1778), Wilkes Co.
William, Rowan or Orange Co.
1786
Aaron (son of Elizabeth Rambo or a previous wife and Aaron Sr.),
Granville Co., 2-3-3-1-0
1790
Drury (grandson of Delilah Stovall and Aaron Jr.; Drury was born this
year, so was the baby jokingly the "head of household"?), Caswell
Co., 081
Isaac Sr. (son of Aaron Jr.), Caswell Co., 080
John (son of Aaron Jr.), Caswell Co., 081
Reuben, Oglethorpe Co.
Reuben (possible son of Mary Omohundro and Joseph?), Surry Co., 184,
02-02-05-00-00
Richard (son of Mary Omohundro and Joseph?), Surry Co., 184, 01-05-03-00-00
Thomas PINNIONS, Surry Co., 03-02-04-00-00
William
1800
Aron or Aaron PENSON (Aaron Jr., son of -- or Elizabeth Rambo and
Aaron Sr.), Granville Co., 540, 01001-01001-02
James PENIOM, Beaufort Co., 15, 11101-11002-00
John (son of Delilah Stovall and Aaron Jr.), Caswell Co., 696, 20110-20010-00
John PENSON, Caswell Co., 726, 11110-30100-00
Lewis PIOSSON, New Hanover Co., 8, 00001-00101-09
Overton PENIX, Surry Co., 683, 40010-20100-00
Reuben PENIUM or PENION (possibly Reuben Pinson, who was possibly son
of Mary Omohundro and Joseph?), Anson Co., 208, 21101-21110-00
Richard (son of Mary Omohundro and Joseph?), Surry Co., 682,
01401-00101-00 OR 00101-0140100 (transposition)
William (possible son of -- and Reuben?), Surry Co., 682,
10010-20010-00 OR 20010-10010000 (transposition)
Zachariah PENSION or PENSON (Zachariah Pinson, son of Delilah Stovall
and Aaron Jr.), Granville Co., 540, 00100-20100-00
1803
William, Franklin Co.
1810
Aaron or Aaron PINSOR (or PINSON), Haywood Co., 199
Aaron PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 076
Abijah (son of Maacah Williams and Richard), Surry Co., 185
Benjamin PINION, Wilkes Co., 898
Christopher, Brk. Co., 339
Edward (?)
Hannah, Brk Co., 339
Jesse PINCUM, Bfr. Co., 103
Joel, Brk. Co., 314
Joel, Hyde Co., 231
John PINION, Brk. Co., 343
John, Caswell Co., 495
Micaja PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 075
Michael, Brk. Co., 339
Micheck PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 076
Nancy Y. PINSTEN, Currituck Co.
Richard (son of Mary Omohundro and Joseph?), Surry Co., 172
Richard PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 075
Sarah, Bfr. Co., 103
Susannah, Brk. Co., 339
Thomas PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 076
William, Brk. Co., 314
William PINION, Surry Co., 187
William PINION, Surry Co., 683
William PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 076
William PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 038
Zachariah (son of Delilah Stovall and Aaron Jr.), Granville Co., 133
1818
Edward, Warren Co.

1820
Alijah or Abijah (Abijah Pinson, son of Maacah Williams and Richard),
Surry Co., 48 or 746
Aron, Haywood Co., 27 or 226
Aron PINHSTON, Rowan Co., 230
Delilah (Aaron Jr.'s widow), Granville Co., Country Line Dist., 035 (or 53)
Demse PINNON, Lincoln Co., 310
Durry (typo for Drury, although another index spells it right ),
Caswell Co, 082 (or 40), 000010-10010
Harris (Marris?) PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 232
Isaac Sr. (son of Delilah Stovall and Aaron Jr.), Caswell Co., 079
(or 39), 010101-01210)
James, Caswell Co., 079, 400010-30010)
John (son of Delilah Stovall and Aaron Jr.), Caswell Co., 082 (or
40), 000201-01101)
Mary, Oglethorpe Co.
Matiak PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 262
Petr PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 262
Reubin PINION (possibly Reuben Pinson, who was possibly son of Mary
Omohundro and Joseph?), Anson Co., 5
Susannah PINNION (possibly daughter of -- and Reuben), Surry Co., 56 or 760
Thomas PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 232
Thomas B., Oglethorpe Co.
William PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 278, Salisbury Twn.
William PINKSTON Rowan Co., 264, Salisbury Twn.
Younger PINEON, Anson Co., 5
Zachariah (son of Delilah Stovall and Aaron Jr.), Granville Co.,
Goshun Dist., 022 (or 33)
1824
Mary, Oglethorpe Co.
Thomas B., Oglethorpe Co.
1830
Aaron PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 387
Aaron, Macon. Co., 020
Alexander PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 384
Allen
Archibald (son of Peggy or Pegelia Ramsay and Aaron), Granville Co., 036
Augustus
Boyd
Elijah (possible son of -- and Isaac Sr. or of Elizabeth "Betty"
Chandler and John)
Francis PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 341
Grandison
Isaac (son of Delilah Stovall and Aaron Jr.), Caswell Co., 289
James (possible of son -- and Isaac Sr. or Elizabeth "Betty" Chandler and John)
James PINIAN, Mont. Co., West Side, 79
Jesse PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 385
John (son of Delilah Stovall and Aaron Jr.), Caswell Co., 308, 1Male
20<30 1M 60<70 2SL
Joseph
Mary, Granville Co., 015
Matilda
Meshack PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 346
Moses
Petr PINKSTON, Wake Co., 453
Rachel PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 396
Reuben PINION (possibly Reuben Pinson, who was possibly son of Mary
Omohundro and Joseph?), Anso. Co., 87
Robert PINIX (possibly a son of -- and Reuben Pinson?), Surry Co., 088
Shadrach
Sterling
Susanna PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 385
Thomas PINION (possibly a son of -- and Reuben Pinson, Surry Co., 134
Thomas (son of -- and Isaac Sr. or Elizabeth "Betty" Chandler and
John), Caswell Co., 301
Thomas PINRON, Montgomery Co., West Side Piper River, 78
Thomas J. PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 402
Thomas P.
William PINKSTON Sr., Rowan Co., 402
William G. PINNIX (possibly a son of -- and Reuben Pinson?), Surry Co., 086
Winiford PINNY, Colu. Co., 21
Yong PINION, Anson Co., 87
Zachariah (son of -- and Zachariah), Halifax Co., 341
1840
Aaron PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 011
Benjamin, Montgomery Co., 220
Elizabeth PINKSTON, Davi. Co., 255
Francis PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 001
Gilbert, Rutherford Co., 298
Hugh PINKSTON, Davi. Co., 245
James PINKJM, Beau. Co., 260
Mary, Granville Co., 128
Meshack PINKSTON, Davi. Co., 245
Nancy PINKSTON, Davi. Co., 245
Joseph, Caswell Co., 118
Reubin (or Reuben) W. PINION, Anson Co., 73 or 074
Susana PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 014
Thomas, Montgomery Co., 220
Thomas PINION, Montgomery Co., 221
Thomas PINKSTON, Rowan Co., 011

ADDITIONAL NOTES
1782
From Gary Pinson () March 21, 2000:
"I see the John Pinson in Wilkes as probably being Rev. Aaron's son John.
The Joseph in Wilkes must also be his son, not his probable brother. Wilkes
Co.
1786
From Gary Pinson () March 21, 2000:
"1786? I don't show any Pinsons there in the census listed for 1784-87
(run in different years in different counties)."
1810 and 1824
From Lou Hixson (), by e-mail, Oct. 16, 1999:
"Under 1810 and 1824, you have some listings for Oglethorpe County. Could
that be Oglethorpe, GA? I know there is not an Oglethorpe, NC now but
perhaps there was and the name has been changed."
1810, 1820 and 1830
From Gary Pinson (), by e-mail, March 21, 2000:
"1810 Aaron or Aaron PINSOR, Haywood Co., 199 (typo---it's definitely
Pinson)
"1820 Aron, Haywood Co., 27 or 226
"1830 Aaron, Macon. Co., 020
"These are the same Person. Aaron, son of Joseph and Marjory Pinson and
grandson of Reverend Aaron."

OHIO
1820
John, Adams Co., Meigs Township, 060

PENNSYLVANIA
1774
John PINSENT settles in Philadelphia
1830
Burgess, Pickens Co., Pickens Dist., 293
Cyrill PINSHOT, L.D., Pike Co., 009

SOUTH CAROLINA
1768
Swan Rambo and wife Jane (Pinson) get land (lower Orangeburg
District, now Barnwell Co.)
1790
Aaron, Laurens Dist., 72, 01-01-02-00-01
Aaron, Laurens Dist., 71 (or 72), 01-11-02-00-00
Aaron PINSTON (son of Elizabeth -- and the Rev. Aaron), Spartanburg
Dist., 02-03-05-00-00
Isaac, Laurens Dist., 071, 01-00-02-00-00 200
John, Laurens Dist., 72, 01-01-01-00-00
John, Laurens Dist., 71 (or 72), 01-02-04-00-00
John, Laurens Dist., 071, 01-03-05-00-04
John Sr., Laurens Dist., 71 (or 72), 01-02-02-00-00 or 01-02-02-00-01
or 01-03-03-00-01(WHICH?)
Joseph (brother of the Rev. Aaron?), Laurens Dist., 71, 01-03-03-00-01
Joseph PINSTON (son of Elizabeth -- and the Rev. Aaron), Spartanburg
Dist., 01-01-06-00-00
Marmaduke (probably son of Mary Omohundro or second wife and Joseph),
Laurens Dist., 71 (or72), 01-01-05-00-02
Mosess (Moses, son of Elizabeth -- and the Rev. Aaron), Laurens
Dist., 71 (or 72), 01-02-01-00-00
1800 (some indexes for Laurens Dist. have the male and female
listings reversed -- which is right?)
Aron (typo), Spartanburg Co., 199 (or 245?), 22001-22001-00
David, Greenville Co., 245 (or 36), 00100-20100-00 or 20100-00100-00 (WHICH?)
Duke (Marmaduke, son of Mary Omohundro or second wife and Joseph?),
Laurens Dist., 45, 20010-22110-05
Duke Jr. (son of Molly -- and Marmaduke Sr.), Laurens Dist., 36,
00100-11110-00 or 00100-00100-00 (WHICH?)
Howard (son of Elizabeth Anne "Besty" Hurst and John), Laurens Dist.,
35, 00100-10100-00
Isaac, Laurens Dist., 36, 00110-31010-00
John, Laurens Dist., 36, 10101-02011-01
John, Laurens Dist., 35, 20101-10001-00
John Jr., Laurens Dist., 36, 11110-00010-00
Joseph, Spartanburg Co., 182, 21001-22310-00
Moses (son of Elizabeth -- and the Rev. Aaron), Laurens Dist., 45,
40010-02010-00 or 02010-40010-00 (WHICH?)
Moses, Laurens Dist., 40, 00100-10100-00
Zefpnia or Zephaniah (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Spartanburg
Co., 199, 10010-20010-00
1810
Aaron, Laurens Dist., 036, 00010-00100-00
Aaron, Laurens Dist., 034, 00100-10100-00
Duke, Laurens Dist., 021, 11101-01300-10
Eady, Laurens Dist., 032, 01000-10010-00
Howard, Laurens Dist., 036, 10010-21010-00
Isaac, Laurens Dist., 033, 10010-13001-00
Isaac Jr., Laurens Dist., 033, 00100-10010-00
Jn (or John), Laurens Dist., 036 (or 34), 00101-00001-00
John, Laurens Dist., 034, 00110-11001-00
John Sr., Laurens Dist., 036, 292, 00101-00101-01
Moses, Laurens Dist., 034, 30101-02010-00
So. [Jo.?] PINSTON (Pendleton Dist.)
1820
Aaron, Laurens Dist., 002, 100010-41110
Abigah (son of Molly -- and Marmaduke Sr.?), Greenville Dist., 095,
200010-00100
Allen, Laurens Dist., 002, 000010-01000
Catharine, Laurens Dist., 005, 100000-11010
David, Pendleton Dist., 223, 110001-00101
Duke (son of Mary Omohundro or second wife and Joseph?), Laurens
Dist., 006, 000201-00011
Eady, Laurens Dist., 008, 000100-00110
Elizabeth, Laurens Dist., 007, 000000-00001
Howard (son of Elizabeth Anne "Betsy" Hurst and John), Laurens Dist.,
010, 210110-21110
Isaac, Laurens Dist., 018, 511001-10101, 209
James, Laurens Dist., 021, 100100-00100
Jesse, Spartanburg Dist., 253, 100100-00100
Joel W. (son of Susannah Puckett and John Jr.?), Laurens Dist., 021,
100010-20100
John, Laurens Dist., 016, 100001-02101
Joseph, Pendleton Dist., 193, 000101-00201
Lucy, Laurens Dist., 021, 200000-24110
Moses, Laurens Dist., 023, 020001-00101
Moses, Laurens Dist., 023, 000001-00201
1830
Aaron, Laurens Co., Laurens Dist., 200
Burgess (born in VA, later moves to Cherokee Co., GA), Pickens Co.,
293, 100001-10001-00
Cathrine, Laurens Co., Laurens Dist., 241
Craig, Pickens Co., Pickens Dist., 293
Ey (Eady Pinson in 1810 and 1820 Census?), Laurens Co., Laurens Dist., 256
Henry, 110001-10001-00
Howard Esq. (probably son of Elizabeth Anne "Betsy" Hurst and John),
Laurens Co., Laurens Dist., 232
Isaac, Laurens Co., Laurens Dist., 228
Joel W.(probably either son of Susannah Puckett and John Jr.; or is
Joel Wade, son of -- and James, and thus nephew of other Joel W. in
Laurens Co.)
John, Laurens Co., Laurens Dist., 200
Joseph, Anderson Co., Anderson Dist., 192, 300001-11001-01
M. (or W.) Cuke (maybe M. Duke for Marmaduke? If so, this would be
the Rev. Marmaduke D. Pinson, son of Molly -- and Marmaduke), Laurens
Co., Laurens Dist., 232
Orainy (probably moves to Hall Co., GA, by 1840), Pickens Co., 10021-01110-01
Peggy, Anderson Co., 10001-10010-01
1840
Aaron, Abbeville Dist., 046
Beray, Laurens Dist., 00?
Catharine (probably same as "Cathrine in 1830), Laurens Dist., 071
Ether, Laurens Dist., 008
Gabriel, Laurens Dist., 041
Howard (is this same Howard as in 1830?), Laurens Dist., 002
Isaac, Laurens Dist., 008
James, Pickens Dist., 383
Jane, Abbeville Dist., 048
Jeremiah, Laurens Dist., 032
Jesse, Spartanbug Dist., 110
John, Laurens Dist., 026
Lucy, Laurens Dist., 069
Parley, Greenville Dist., 260
Sarah, Greenville Dist., 260
Thomas, Abbeville Dist., 046
W.D., Laurens Dist., 044

ADDITIONAL NOTES
From Gary Pinson(), March 21, 2000:
1790, 1800
"1790
Aaron, Laurens Dist., 72, 01-01-02-00-01
Aaron, Laurens Dist., 71 (or 72), 01-11-02-00-00
Aaron PINSTON (the Rev. Aaron), Spartanburg Dist., 02-03-05-00-00
"Spartanburg Aaron is son of the Rev. Aaron. Note that his brother Joseph,
also in Spartanburg, had the same Pinston misspelling. Rev. Aaron is older
of two in Laurens Co. The other Aaron there is either a son of Joseph or a
Granville Pinson.

"1800
Aron (typo), Spartanburg Co., 199 (or 245?), 22001-22001-00
Joseph, Spartanburg Co., 182, 21001-22310-00
"Here the brothers are again---they leave before the 1820 census. Joseph
goes to adjoining Pendleton Dist.

"John, Laurens Dist., 36, 10101-02011-01John, Laurens Dist., 35,
20101-10001-00
John Jr., Laurens Dist., 36, 11110-00010-00
"L. Hayden spent a lot of time with these Johns and felt one (the one in
Wilkes N.C. 1782) was Rev. Aaron's son, another was one of the Granville
Pinsons and the third was a confusion---seemed to think he was a nephew,
adopted or ??
"Keep in mind that sometimes people were enumerated more than once
in a census. Sometimes they were enumerated in two different
counties. I've
been told that in 1800 if a person had moved in the last year he would be
counted at his old residence and new---I've seen two cases I think fit that
in Western S.C."

TENNESSEE
1778 tax list
Aaron Pinson, Washington Co., Nolichucky settlement
Aaron Pinson, Washington Co., Holston settlement
John Pinson, Washington Co., Holston settlement
Joseph Pinson, Washington Co., Nolichucky settlement
Thomas Pinson (son of Mary Omohundro or a second wife and Joseph? See
note below from David Earl Pinson), Washington Co., Nolichucky
settlement
1810
Duke (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron)
Larkin (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron)
1811
John listed as one of the purchases at the sale of the estate of
Nicholas Conrad, Dec. 18, 1811, in Robertson Co. (Wills)
1820
Aaron Pinson buys 50 acres in Henderson Co.on Feb. 16, 1820
Duke (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Montgomery Co., 1 (or 11),
110010-32210
Joel (son of Maacah Williams and Richard), Lincoln Co., 6 (or 46),
000110-30100
Larkin (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Montgomery Co., 1 (or 11),
200010-20010
Moses, Smith Co., 8 (or 78), 311110-22110
Nathaniel G. (son of Maacah Williams and Richard), Perry Co., 8, 000100-00000
Polly, Bedford Co., 130000-51020
1830
Charles PYNSON?, Williamson Co., 111111-100001
Drury (son of -- and Isaac Sr. or Elizabeth "Betty" Chandler and
John), Williamson Co., 45, 120001-000001
James PINKSTON, Carroll Co., 012010001-1000001
James PINKSTON, Carroll Co., 10001-10001
Joel, (son of Maacah Williams and Richard), Lincoln Co., 82 (or 182),
0210011-121001
Jonathan, Roane Co., 10001-10001
Larkin (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Montgomery Co., 43,
01110010-10100010
M. PINKSTON, Carroll Co., 30001-00001
Marmaduke (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Montgomery Co., 43,
00100010-01210101
Nathan (son of Maacah Williams and Richard), Lincoln Co., 54 (or
254), 0000001-0000000
Obediah (son of Maacah Williams and Richard), Lincoln Co., 42 (or
242), 00000001-00002000 or 000000001-00200000 (WHICH?)
Richard A., White Co., 0110001-1100010
Zacheriah PINKSTON, Carroll Co., 10001-20011
Pinson WILDS, Lincoln Co., 25
1832
Drury (son of -- and Isaac Sr. or Elizabeth "Betty" Chandler and
John), Williamson Co.
Joel (son of Maacah Williams and Richard), Lincoln Co.
Larkin (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron)
Marmaduke (son of Elizabeth Wells and Aaron), Montgomery Co.
Nathan (son of Maacah Williams and Richard), Lincoln Co.
Obediah (son of Maacah Williams and Richard), Lincoln Co.
1840
Aaron, Henry Co. or Hawy. Co. (WHICH?), 385, 000001-212001
Alexander PINKSTON, Gree. Co., 081, 2111001-00101
David PINKSTON, Will. Co., 172, 003210001-0110001
Francis, PINKSTON, Will. Co., 151, 0-0010001
Hamilton PIKSTONE, Carroll Co., 066, 00001-01001
Harvy or Harry (WHICH?), Dick. Co., 199, 10002-12001
Isaac (Isaac F.), Carroll Co., 45, 110101-10002
Isaac J., Laud. Co., 11 or 010, 0000101-0
Isaac M. (son of -- and Isaac Sr. or Elizabeth "Betty" Chandler and
John), Carroll Co., 044, 12221001-1010101
James PINION, Cock. Co., 264
James PINKSTON, Carroll Co., 046, 0111000001-00000001
James PINKSTON Jr. or Sr. (WHICH?), Carroll Co., 072, 010001-22101
John A. (son of Rebecca Pinson and Isaac M.), Carroll Co., 044, 00001-000001
Lewis PINKSTON, Carroll Co. 076, 000000001-000000001
Lucinda PINKSTON, Carroll Co., 072, 1-10001
M., Mont. Co., 152 or 252, 00001-00001
Mackew PINCKSTON, Ruth. Co., 095
Mary PINKSTON, Coff. Co., 167, 1-120001
McCamy, PINION, McM Co., 107
Micajah PINKSTON, Carroll Co., 076, 013001-000001
Moses, Dick. Co., 201, 00000001-00000001
O. PINKSTON, Hami. Co., 179, 100001-00201
Peter PINKSTON, Bent. Co., 007, 00110001-120101
Susan, Robe. Co., 168 or 167, 001200001-0100001
Thomas (son of -- and Isaac Sr. or Elizabeth "Betty" Chandler and
John), Carroll Co., 049, 0201001-1111001
Turner PINKSTON, Mars. Co., 212, 1111001-2221001
Turner PINKSTON, Tipt. Co., 247 or 246, 020012001-100000001
W. PINKSTON, WI. Co., 192, 100101-01001
Wilkins PINKSTON, Dyer. Co., 096, 010021-12001
William PINKSTON, Dick. Co., 206, 102001-110001
William C. or E., Mont. Co., 252, 000000001-000100001
Zachariah PINKSTON, Carroll Co., 072, 221001-012001
1841
John B. dies before May 13, 1841, in Bedford Co. (Court Minutes).

ADDITIONAL NOTES
1778
-- From Gary Pinson (), March 21, 2000:
"Interesting. I didn't have Pinsons in separate settlements. Thought they
were all together. Are you sure on this?"
-- From David Earl Pinson, by e-mail Sept. 3, 1999:
"Thomas Pinson in Washington County [in 1778 -- James Pinson] has
never been identified to date by anyone. I have my suspicions that he
was a son of the old Joseph who is often referred to as a brother of
the Rev. Aaron."
-- From Gary Pinson (), March 21, 2000,
responding to David Earl Pinson's comment above:
"Possibly. Another explanation is that he may have been another son of Rev.
Aaron. Everyone got Rev. Aaron's sons from his will-----Joseph was left
off, but was in the estate settlement!!!! That's what made Moses Pinson's
Rev. War Pension statement so important. Otherwise, everyone would have
had Joseph born 1754 as a possible son of the older Joseph (in fact some did
claim that).
"Children weren't always listed on wills. If an older son was given his
inheritance before his father's death he was often not mentioned. And if
Thomas died before Rev. Aaron's will, he wouldn't have been mentioned.
"We'll probably never know."
-- From Gary Pinson () the same day, March 21, 2000:
"Loreita Hayden wasn't sure if he [Thomas Pinson -- James Pinson[ was
Pinson or a variant spelling, but I've found him in two source
documents and in one list he was only a couple of spaces from Joseph
Pinson.
"I think it most likely that Thomas Pinson was an elder son of Rev. Aaron
who didn't return with the family to S.C. Possibly predeceased his father.
"The name Thomas would be likely, since there was a Thomas Pinson in 1728
living by Richard Omohundro, father in law of the older Joseph Pinson who
accompanied Rev. Aaron (I believe them to be brothers) to Orange Co. N.C.
then Laurens Co. S.C. Also, mention in old records of a Thomas Sr. and
Thomas Jr. in that area that would become Fairfax Va. In other words, the
most likely father (speculative) for Rev. Aaron and Joseph Pinson was one
of these Thomas Pinsons.
"If the Thomas Pinson in 1782 Wilkes N.C. wasn't Rev. Aaron's son, who
was he? I'd bet he was a son of the older Joseph Pinson left back in Laurens.
"Whoever's son he was, proving his paternity would tell us a lot more about
the family."

TEXAS
1840
John J., Houston Co.

VIRGINIA
1623
William PINSEN sails to Virginia and settles
1624
William PINSEN lives in Elizabeth City
In Giles Palmer's will in 1624 in Virginia: "To my friend Henry
Pinson the Elder L10; to Henry Pinson the younger L5; to Elizabeth
Pynson a fetherbed. To Jane Humphrey, William and Mary Pynson L5
each."
1630
Gerrald Pinson mentioned in will of George Harrison on Nov. 17, with
notation as wages due from East India Co.

1637
Elizabeth PYNSON, Henry PYNSON (elder and younger) and Jane,
Humphrey, William (one source says Tom instead) and Mary PYNSON
mentioned in will of Giles Palmer
1663
Joseph Pinson settles in Virgina, sailing from Bristol, England, to
America as a servant.
1665
Thomas Pinson settles in Virginia, sailing from Bristol, England, to
America as a servant for four years to Richard Middlecutt
1687
Thomas Pinson, Lancaster Co., on court orders of Dec. 14 listing
"freemen and housekeepers inhabiting said county ... appointed for
foot service" in the military
1705
James Pinson is a passenger to Virginia.
1733
William Linton's will in December mentions Thomas Pinson, William
Co., Will Book C 1734-1744, 434-36
Col. William Byrd, surveying the Virginia-North Carolina boundary,
records finding Aaron Pinston (Aaron Pinson Sr.) living on Tewahominy
Creek (later called Aaron's Creek) of the Dan River, in what is now
Halifax Co., Va.. Aaron Pinson and Peter Mitchell were the furthest
western dwellers into the wilderness at the time.
Aaron Pinson in Spotsylvania County Court on Oct.2, 1733
(Spotsylvania County Orders 1732-1734). He was paid for one wolf's
head by Robert Slaughter, and it appears he was paid in tobacco (200)
1745
Peter Turner's will of July 16 mentions Thomas Pinson, Fairfax Co.,
Will Book A 1742-1752, 5
Richard Omohundro's will mentions his son-in-law, Joseph Pinson,
married to his daughter, Mary, Fairfax Co.
1758
Aaron Pinson Sr. will filed in Lunenburg Co.
1764
Thomas Pinson will filed in Brunswick Co. (archived in North Carolina
State Archives in Raleigh, DB-A/31).
1782
John, (son of Elizabeth Rambo and Aaron Sr.), Halifax Co.
Thomas (son of Elizabeth Rambo and Aaron Sr.), Mecklenburg Co.
1792
James Pinson (son of -- Boyd and Thomas) marries Sarah Duprey in Halifax Co.
1801
Aron Pinson (Aaron Pinson Jr., son of -- or Elizabeth Rambo and
Aaron) will filed in Granville Co. (now in the custody of the county
clerk of superior court, WB-S/147).
1820
Aaron, Mecklenburg Co., 161
1823
Jacob Honaker will of Sept. 23, 1823, probated in Russell Co.,
mentions his wife Mary and a daughter Mary who was married to John
Pinson (John Jacob Pinson, son of Mary "Molly" or "Polly" Denny and
Thomas)
1840
John, Cabell Co., 054, 2 Males 10<15 2 Males 15<20 1 Male 50<60 1
Female 15<20 5 Agriculture Total 6
William, Wythe Co., 114

ADDITIONAL NOTES
1623, 1624
From Gary Pinson (), March 21, 2000:
" Seems to me I sent this to L. Hayden years ago and she said it really was
from Barbadoes or somewhere. If true, this would be most interesting since
the first surviving (Roanoke was earlier but...) English colony was founded
in 1622 Virginia. Almost all of the early settlers died by 1630, so this
probably isn't our source---but if it was, we would probably be one of the
few lines that survived and could count ourselves as descended from the
earliest non Amerind North Americans!"
1630
From Gary Pinson (), March 21, 2000:
"Loreita (Hayden -- James Pinson) also said this was not from
Virginia. I don't know."
1663, 1665
"I have two sources for Thomas and it looks solid. Joseph is read as Pinson
by only one source---Pinion or something else by the other. If I had to
guess (wild and speculative), I think Thomas is likely our ancestor. He
probably wouldn't have started a family until post 1670. We have
references to two Thomas Pinsons in the area of Fairfax Va. in the
1720's. A Thomas Pinson is listed next to Joseph Pinson's father in
law, Richard Omohundro, in 1728.
"Purely fun play speculation, but how about, Thomas Pinson comes to America
as a young indenture, marries post indenture post 1670 and begets Thomas
Pinson Jr. (and Aaron Pinson Sr who begets a Thos Pinson) who begets Joseph
and Rev. Aaron Pinson (who begets Joseph, etc. and ????Thos. Pinson of
Wilkes) ."

This thread: