PHILLY-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > PHILLY-ROOTS > 2009-04 > 1238936672

Subject: Re: [Phly-Rts] Fwd: In search of fallen cop's relatives
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 13:04:32 +0000 (UTC)

I was able to access Barnett's obit by going around genealogybank's search engine hits. The only "new" info on Barnett not provided already in this thread is that the obit states various members of "Ivanhoe Lodge No. 449 F & AM, Court Hamilton No.40 F of A, West Philadelphia Republican Club, and 21st Police District" are invited to funeral. No mention of cemetery (others stated Arlington).

Sometimes on Genealogybank (and I've told them several times) when you do a search you will wind up with this big long list of people's names showing up as one of the hits (this is within the preview of hits).  It's almost gauranteed that this link will not work when you see such a thing. You then have to do a search for that particular issue of the paper (for example Philadelphia Inquirer, dated November 28th, 1910, etc), then with the issue of that day's paper you can click to the left and have all pages show up, then you scroll through the paper to the death notices (mortuary notices), and you can access the info. This is an end around when a link on a search doesn't work.

Ken Milano