PHILLY-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > PHILLY-ROOTS > 2008-04 > 1208219111

Subject: Re: [Phly-Rts] e-mail address - City Archives - Philadelphia?
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:25:11 EDT

In a message dated 4/14/2008 4:51:32 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

Jacqui,

How did you specify the request for the search? If you searched 1869-1871,
full years, you spent quite a bit of money ($40/per year) and most people
don't like to start that way. If you requested a particular month in each
of those years, remember that PCA will search a three month range around
that month for $10 per year. If you happened to give a month that doesn't
fall in that three month period, or year range, for whatever reason, the
person won't be found.

On the other hand, maybe John did not die in Philadelphia. Have you found
him in the 1860 census? Did you check NJ death records.

jo

Hi JO,

I sent in $10 with the Census death schedule and the Archives were the ones
to decide what years to search for that death schedule. They said they
searched June - August for the years 1869-71 and didn't find him. JOHN FIELD was
listed in 1860 census in Camden, NJ (I had NJ search for his death too and
they searched through 1870 and he did not die in NJ) He should have been
found as he died July 21, 1869.

ERNESTINE (JOHN FIELD's wife) sent letters from Philadelphia beginnning in
1861 so I am sure he died in Philadelphia. (and his Pension file (from Index)
states that he died there too in 1869)

ERNESTINE is listed in Philadelphia in the 1870 census and in the
Philadelphia City Directories for year 1870 and 1875.

1870 United States Federal Census Record
Name: Ernestine Field
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1796
Age: 74 Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Ward 7 District 20, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Race: White Gender: Female
Post Office: Philadelphia
HOUSEHOLD: Enumerated Nov. 25, 1870 (second enumeration)
781.855. GRUNIG, DANTU, age 29 occ: Baker b. Wurtenburg
GRUNIG, LOUISA wife age 30 occ: keeping house b. Wurtenburg
GRUNIG, AMELIA age 5 b. NJ
GRUNIG, CHARLES age 3 b. PA
FEILD, ERNESTINE 74 F age 74 Widow b. PA father: foreign b., mother: b. US
(index: Name: Ernestine Field - scan reads - FEILD)
PHILADELPHIA CITY DIRECTORY LISTINGS:
1870 PCD
Field Ernestine, wid John, h 1932 South St.
&
1875 PCD
Field Ernestine A., wid John, h 1725 N 10th St.
There is no death record listed in the Philadelphia Inquirer that I can find
in NewsBank for JOHN FIELD.

Jacqueline Sleeper Russell
Website:_
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SRCH&db=jacquelinesr&surname=A_