PHILLY-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > PHILLY-ROOTS > 2002-03 > 1016478673

From: "Jo Schwartz" <>
Subject: Re: [PHILLY-ROOTS-L] Link
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:22:33 -0500

Sandi,
If you have reason to believe that the family stayed in Philadelphia, you
could investigate the LINK marriages and births at the City Archives at 3101
Market St. If you are from out of town, you can rent the same films from the
LDS, although they are not always very readable. One of the advantages of
doing onsite research at the archives is that the marriage indexes up to
about 1880 or so are in ledgers in the research room and you don't have to
depend on the vagaries of microfilm. Many of the death indexes are also in
ledger form in the same place. Scanning ledgers, no matter how many people
they cover, is infinitely easier than scanning film.

Jo