PHILLY-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > PHILLY-ROOTS > 2002-03 > 1015621580

Subject: [PHILLY-ROOTS-L] Cemeteries, Funeral Homes, Evans & Welsh
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 16:06:20 EST

Fellow Philly researchers;

Would anyone on the list know which cemeteries and funeral homes would have
been the most likely ones to be used by Irish Catholics living in northern
Philadelphia (19th ward & within St. Michael's Catholic parish boundaries) in
the late 1870's to 1900 or so?

I am trying to find my grandfather James Evans' family. His father was David
Evans (b. ca 1842 Ireland) and his mother was Mary Ann Welsh (b. ca 1844-5
PA). Her parents, William and Ann Welsh, were both born in Ireland. They all
lived in the same house on Columbia Ave. (now Cecil B. Moore) near America(n)
and Philip Sts. and less than a mile from St. Michael's parish. Two sons,
William and Joseph, are listed in the 1870 census but not listed in 1880. I
assume they died. My grandfather James Evans came to IN in the 1890's but
rest of the family remained in Philadelphia.

Other siblings of my grandfather were: Robert A. Evans, b. ca 1878, lived on
Philip St. in the 1910 census. He married Mrs. Mary Streit a widow with 5
daughters. He had a daughter, Ida Evans, who married George Barth (I
believe). Ida was born about 1907. Robert also had a son David Evans born
about 1909. Robert A. Evans was an officer for the city (what kind I don't
know). I remember seeing a nice photo of him in a uniform when I was a child.

Jim Evans also had sisters Catherine (Kate), born about 1876, who married man
named Smith; Anna Mary (know nothing of her), and Sarah (Sadie), born after
1880, who married a man named Ed Lutz.

I know I must have a lot of cousins living in the Philadelphia area! If any
of these names sound familiar--or if any of you know which funeral homes and
cemeteries would have been likely ones for this family, I'd appreciate
hearing from you. I have a list of cemeteries (from Rootsweb) for
Philadelphia and of funeral homes (from LDS library catalog). The latter had
no addresses however.

Thanks,
Joyce Colleen in Indiana

This thread: