PHILLY-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > PHILLY-ROOTS > 2000-08 > 0965785121

From: "jo schwartz" <>
Subject: Re: [PHILLY-ROOTS-L] Records - HSP vs PCA
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 21:38:41 -0400

Holly,

Since I've only started using the HSP facilities, I can't give your the
complete run down, and you don't specify which time period you need. What I
do know that the films are exactly the same in content, but HSP has only
the indexes for the 1885-1915 marriages and you will have to get the
certificates themselves from the ARchives.

There's no question that the environment at Hsp is more pleasant than the
ARchives. It may even be more cost effective (especially if you are already
a member) if you can use the HSP films to get the certificate #s you need
for a large grouping of films, and then go over to the Archives with that
step out of the way. If you have to do a lot of searching for people, its a
much, much nicer environment and the daily $5 charge is well worth it. It
certainly is less aggravating than feeding the microfilm meter every 15
minutes, and the cost of printing is cheaper. I wish HSP could take over
the Archives entire collection because maybe we could then launch some
preservation projects and get readible records where there aren't any.
(Hope you don't have to research 1885 deaths).

jo