PHILLY-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > PHILLY-ROOTS > 2000-05 > 0959038002

From: "MJM" <>
Subject: [PHILLY-ROOTS-L] Philadelphia Tax Records
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 16:26:42 -0700

I've followed this list for quite awhile now, and have never seen a
discussion of local tax records as a research tool.

In all the other localities I research, the annual tax lists provide an
incredible record of an ancestor's economic condition and whereabouts from
year to year. Nobody escaped the county tax assessor. Yet there's never
any mention of tax records as a genealogical resource for Philadelphia.
Is/was Philly a tax-free zone? If so, I'm packing up my stuff and heading
east.

Thanks for your insight on this.

Marla in CA

This thread: