PENDERGRASS-L Archives

Archiver > PENDERGRASS > 2004-03 > 1078462334

From: Jean Johnson <>
Subject: [PENDERGRASS] Pendergrass/t, Baltimore, MD 1817-1850; possibly Minnesota
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 23:52:14 -0500

I have limited info about this era of Pendergrass/Pendergast. There is
Patrick Pendergast in the 1817 Baltimore, MD Directory. In the 1850
census, Margaret Pendergast, 60 yrs, living with what appears to be a
son-in-law, Edward Macasoc and probable daughter Eliza Macasoc-all born
in Ireland. They lived next to my ancestor, Cecilia Stanton, her maiden
name is Pendergrass--she is born in Ireland but she immigrated to
England where she married James Stanton. She and their children
immigrated from England to Baltimore in 1843 and I believe James Stanton
came too althought I don't know the date of his arrival. James Stanton
died in 1849 in Baltimore at an address near where I found Cecilia.

Can anyone verify any relationship between the Pendergrass and
Pendergast families that live next to each other? Was Margaret the widow
of Patrick? Were Cecilia and Margaret sisters, cousins, sisters-in-law?

A little more, my grandmother told me that Cecilia's maiden name was
Pendergast but when I found the marriage record, it was recorded as
Pendergrass and there were many Pendergrass names in the parish (St Anne
Soho, Westminster, England)--Could be that she was not related to the
Pendergrass family but the minister made a mistake in recording since
there were so many by the Pendergrass namein the parish. Could be
Pendergast is correct since grandmother said it was that name and now I
find her living next door to a Pendergast.She also told me that the
family was somehow related to a Pendergast family in Minnesota who
raised horses.

Does anybody know anything about this line?
Jean

This thread: