PARKER-L Archives

Archiver > PARKER > 1998-07 > 0901410481

From: <>
Subject: Fwd: Parkers in N.C.
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 19:48:01 EDT

--part0_901410481_boundary

In a message dated 98-07-25 16:08:56 EDT, GailStep writes:

Hey Parker People!

A friend of mine sent this to me so I thought I'd pass it on to y'all. I
can't use it but maybe someone can.

<< The first Parker info is from the book: The Heritage of Wayne County,
975.639 H548w. The second is from the book: Abstract of Wayne County, Vol.
I, 1780 -- 1868.

Joe

THE PARKER FAMILIES

If one should attend a Parker reunion, he would be surprised to find that
some of his neighbors and friends are cousins. These reun-ions have been held
for the past three years at the Wayne Center where two hundred or more Parkers
assemble. Each person much wear the name of his Parker ancestor.

My great-grandfather, William Right Parker (1823-1913) and his wife Nancy (b.
1827) were both Parker's before they were married in 1849. They did not think
they were related. Both of William Right's parents were descendants of Isaac
Parker of Northhampton County. N.C.

Nancy Parker's great-great-grandfather was John Parker, probably of Cohary
Run. Sampson county who married Rachel Sessum about
1738.

In the year 1100 King Henry I, of England, appointed Peter of Alcancotes,
Keeper of the Forest and Bow Bearer.

In 1305 King Edward I ordered everyone to take a surname. The family of
Alcancotes took the name of Parker (Keeper of the Park).
The Parker coat-of-arms is red with an arm holding an arrow at the top and a
deer head on the shield.

The first two Parker homes in England were destroyed by fire. The third one
was built in 1503. It is a four story Tudor Mansion. It is still standing.
Queen Elizabeth II's grandmother, Queen Mary, stayed there during World War
II.

There were several distinguished Parker's, William Parker, who in 1620 was
made Archdeacon of Cornwall. Robert, his father, married Elizabeth Chatterson,
sister of Wil-liam, Lord Bishop of Lincoln.

In 1650, Dr. Richard Parker immigrated to Virginia from England and settled
in Nancemond County. He married a Miss Pender. Richard's great-grandson was
Isaac Parker who lived in Northhampton County, N.C. He died in 1774 leaving
1260 acres of land and eleven children.

One of his sons was Capt. Jonathan Parker (1735-1806) who married Suzanna
Cotton. Capt. Parker was Captain of the Duplin county (N.C.) Militia in the
Revolutionary War and lived on Six Runs Creek, Duplin County. He had seven
children. One son was Capt. Peyton Randolph Parker who fought in the War of
1812.

Jonathan's second son was Richard Parker (1770-1836). He married (1)
Elizabeth Sumner in (1790), (2) Letitia Drew. Two of Richard's and Elizabeth's
sons were Zachariah (1791-1863) and Zephania.

Zachariah Parker married Kitty Vann in 1819. They were my great-grandfather,
Willam Right's parents.

Zephania (Jim) married Louisa Tomay Register in 1822.

My great-grandmother Nancy Parker's fa-ther was John Parker. His wife was
Rachel Sessum (married 1738). They had a son Thomas who married Kate Howard in
1792. Their grandson Thomas married Mary Howard in 1826.

William Right and Nancy Parker were mar-ried in 1849. He was captured and in
prison at Fort Macon during the Civil War.

Many of these Parker descendants live in Wayne, Duplin and Sampson counties.
Sources. Traced in England by Ann Parker Garrison. and Will Parker of
Raleigh. consultation with family members, D.A.R. papers. N.C. Archives and
Wayne County Public Library.

-Catherine Mathews Ham

.
PARKER, ARTHURMar. 16, 1816Aug. Ct. 1816

Wife:Nancy; Sons: Elisha, Joel and Daniel; Daughters: Rachel Brown,
Rebecca Wilison, Elizabeth Parker and Nancy Parker; Executors: Joel Parker
and Benjamin Wilison; Witnesses: Matthew Pipkin and Richard Byrd.
PARKER, ELISHAAug. 16, 1821Nov. Ct. 1821

Wife:Ann; Son: Arthur; Daughters: Polly and Susannah; Executors:
Henry Bizzell and Lazarus Smith; Witnesses:Joel Parker, Jacob Simins and
John Cherry.

PARKER, JAMESDec. 22, 1809Aug. Ct 1819

Wife:Tabitha; Sons: James, Henry and Bryant; Brother and sister's
children but not named; Polly Lawhon, Olive Smith and Smithy Grant (NRS);
Executors:Wife, Lewis Whitfield and Uriah Bass; Witnesses: Henr~ Hobson,
William Lawhon and Polly Lawhon; NOTE: Note attached to original will states
it should be PARKS. Codicil to will dated January 7, 1815. Witnesses: Allen
Whitfield and Samuel Lawhon.

PARKER, JOHNJan. 17, 1795 Apr. Ct. 1795

Sons:Isaac, Samuel (deceased - his heirs Sally, Mary, Henry, John and Onner)
and John; Daughters: Elizabeth Yelverton, Phereby, Mary, Martha and Delilah;
Executors: Son John and son-in-law Noah Yelverton; Witnesses: John Spann,
Major Parks and Isaac Smith.

PARKER, JOSEPHMar. 18, 1813
May Ct. 1813

Wife:Elizabeth; Son: James; Daughter: Becka (Rebecca); Executor:
Hardy Sutton; Witnesses:Major Parker and Henry Parks.

PARKER, SAMUELFeb. 21, 1791
Apr. Ct. 1791
Son:James; Daughters: Mary Lawhon and Zilphia Parker; Executor:
William Lawnorn & Lewis Whitfield; Witnesses:Ba McKinne and Benjamin
Herring.

--part0_901410481_boundary