PAERIE-L Archives

Archiver > PAERIE > 2007-09 > 1190691124

From: Manners <>
Subject: [PAERIE] Captain BONE
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:32:04 -0700

Is anyone researching the Bone Family?

I would like to know more about them because, I have 2 sons of my
GGGgrandfather who both state in family records that they were born at the
Erie Lighthouse circa early 1820's. The family name is HILANDS / HIGHLANDS.

I believe that women were "confined" as childbirth approached and were not
out visiting or going anywhere but to their own beds from where midwives,
etc., were called in. As this family is quite elusive, I thought maybe
there was a connection to Captain Bone. I tried contacting his researcher
on Rootsweb, but he did not know too much about the Captain and his family.
He said that he had been told that Captain Bone had 10 children.

Is there any way that the dates for the lighthouse keeper could be wrong??
For instance, was he the keeper from approx 1818-1821 and then again from
approx 1823 on? Did they just lump it together for simplicity ? Mistakes
do get made!! Is there anyway to check this from a primary source???

Also, I will be on my way to Erie next week. Does ESGR have actual hours
they are open? I couldn't find any on their website.

Cheryl
Washington State

Researching: MAINS and HILANDS in Erie

This thread: