OXFORDSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > OXFORDSHIRE > 2002-09 > 1030889531

From: "Toni Skidmore" <>
Subject: Re: [OXF] Word Definition Yeoman
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 09:27:40 -0500

Eleanor,

> A 'yeoman' was a person of respectable standing who owned and farmed his
own land, but he was below the rank of gentleman.

A yeoman owned his own land? This is new to me ... was this universal?
I've seen several of my 17c-early 18c yeomen buried 'in woollens only,'
which I assume to mean that they were poor and could not afford a coffin.
Surely landowners, with tenants/labourers of their own, could have come up
with the wood and labour to produce a coffin for the head yeoman when he
expired?

Cheers,

Toni Skidmore
Chicago, USA