OXFORDSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > OXFORDSHIRE > 2002-09 > 1030889198

From: "Toni Skidmore" <>
Subject: Re: [OXF] Word Definition
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 09:22:06 -0500

Hi Carol,

Certainly this must be a mild mis-spelling of the word "yeoman," meaning
essentially 'farmer.' This word is quite common in PRs of this time; the
term 'farmer' itself, or the more common 'Ag Lab' (agricultural labourer),
did not seem to come into common use until the 1800s.

Toni Skidmore
Chicago, USA