OWENS-L Archives

Archiver > OWENS > 2008-05 > 1211560877

From: Tammy <>
Subject: [OWENS] Barnett, Owen(s), Thornton
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 11:41:17 -0500

I was looking at the Jackson Co, IN Owens that moved from KY Owens and
gathered the below info. Surprisingly I ran into the connection of
Barnett's, Owens and Thorntons so it's possible that the Barnett Owen that
lived in Madison Co, KY was named after these Barnetts and not Walter O
Owens and Joyce.

1775 Pioneers of Fort Boonesborough, Madison Co, KY
Alex Barnett-5
Ambrose Barnett-2 (son of John Perry Barnett and Elizabeth Self )
James Barnett 2, 13
John Barnett 2, 13 (son of Henry J Barnett (son of Anna Rolfe and William
Barnett of the mayflower) and Mary Grundy had son Ambrose)
Joseph Barnett 1
Robert Barnett 2
Thomas M Owens 2
John Carkey Owings
(There are also Calloway's there: Caleb, Edgar killed, Elizabeth, Flanders
wed Jemima Boone, Frances wed Capt John Holder, George, John, Hezekiah,
Keziah wed Judge James French, Lydia wed Capt Christopher Irving, Richard
killed, Mrs Richard.)
(There are Crews: David, Mrs David, Eligah)
(There are Crooke: John surveyor)(Walter Owen married Jane Crook 1802 in
Madison Co, KY)
(Is it possible that Barnett Owen got his first name from these Barnett's)
Orange Co, NC
BARNETT, John Will made 1 Apr 1750, no recording date. Exrx. Wife
Marran. Exrs. Sons James and Ambropse when of age, Son in Law, John Watts.
Ch Anne, James, John, Ambrfose, Sarah (Wife of John Watts) Estate Inv
articles delivered Julius Christy who married Agatha Barnett, rec. 25 Aug
1757; Articles for Henry White and Frances his Wife from Estate apprfaised
rec 27 Nov 1766; Articles delivered James Barnett rec 27 Nov 1766. Estate
being given Ambrose Barnett he being married, 23 March 1769.
(Ambrose is related to the Thorntons who married into the Owens. In the
1750s two descendants of Martha's younger sister, Alice Eltonhead Corbin,
bought several tracts of land in Orange County. They were Presley Thornton
(son of Anthony Thornton and Winifred Presley) and his cousin and best
friend John Tayloe who both had Tidewater estates on the Northern Neck of
Virginia. Presley's daughter Sarah was born in Orange County and married
Ambrose Barnett there after the American Revolution. Ambrose was a veteran
of that war. In the 1790s they moved across the Blue Ridge mountains to
Nicholas County, Kentucky. By the 1850s my ancestors had moved as far west
as Missouri. ) (Patsy Owen married William Thornton, Patsy was dau of
Barnett Owen, William son of Luke Thornton)

1800
George Owens Bracken KY 1799
James Owens Bracken KY 1799
Armistead Owin Madison KY
Barnett Owin Madison KY
Barnett Jr Owin Madison KY
John Owin Madison KY
James Barnett Madison, KY
John Barnett Madison KY
Joseph Barnett Madison KY
William Barnett Madison KY
John Owen Liberty, Marion District, SC 1800
John B Owen Liberty, Marion District, SC 1800
Walter Owen Liberty, Marion District, SC 1800
William Owen Liberty, Marion District, SC 1800
Zachariah Owen Williamsburg, Marion District, SC 1800
Peter Owens Williamsburg, Marion District, SC 1800
Stephen Owens Williamsburg, Marion District, SC 1800
Zachariah Owens Williamsburg, Marion District, SC 1800

1810
Daniel Owens Floyd, Floyd, KY 1810
Owen Owens Floyd, Floyd, KY 1810
Thomas Owens Floyd, Floyd, KY 1810
George Owens Bracken, KY 1810
George Owens Bracken, KY 1810
James Owens Bracken, KY 1810
Thomas Owens Bracken, KY 1810
George Owens Eddyville, Caldwell, KY 1810
George Owens Haywood, NC 1810 and Wilkes in 1800
Barnett Owins Madison, KY 1810 45ov
Barnett Owins Jr Madison, KY 1810 26-45
William Owins Madison, KY 1810 (census entry states "Barnett's son") 18-26
William Owins Madison, KY 1810 45ov
Armstead Owens Estill, KY 45ov (not the one in Halifax or Rowan Co)
Jeremiah Barnett Estill, KY 26-45 neighbor of John Owins
John Owins Estill, KY 26-45
Henry Barnett Estill, KY 16-26

1820
Dan Owens Carr, Jackson IN 30-40
Walter Owens Carr, Jackson IN 40-50
George Owen Redding, Jackson, IN 30-40
Barnett Owens Madison, KY 100011200112 (he's over 45)
Geo Wm Owen Lawrenceburg, Franklin KY
Nanny Owen Lawrenceburg, Franklin KY
Robert Owen Lawrenceburg, Franklin KY
William Owens Lawrenceburg, Franklin KY
Barret Ower Lawrenceburg, Franklin KY
Owen Owens Floyd, KY
Thomas Owens Floyd, KY
Thomas Owens Floyd, KY
William Owens Floyd, KY
Samuel Owers Floyd, KY
Armsted Owings Ravenna, Estill, KY
Jeremiah Barnett Ravenna, Estill, KY died 1824, has wife Elizabeth Dumford
Henry Barnett Ravenna, Estill, KY
Lewis Barnett Ravenna, Estill, KY
Lewis Barnett Ravenna, Estill, KY
John Owings Irvine, Estill, KY

1830 Jackson Co, IN
Walter Owen Carr, Jackson IN 01110001 00110001 50-60 possible father of
Willis, William. Son

of Barnett shown in Madison KY in 1820 per will)
Dan Owens Carr, Jackson IN 0000001 0111001 40-50 (not son of Barnett per
will but could be

oldest son of Walter)
Owen Owens Carr, Jackson IN 20001 00001 20-30 son of dan
George Owen Redding, Jackson, IN 0000001 110001 40-50
Barnett Owings Estill, KY 40-50 (son of Barnett per will)
John Owings, Estill, KY 40-50 (son of Barnett per will)
Lewis Barnett Estill, KY 30-40 neighbor
Hiram Barnett Estill, KY 20-30 neighbor, son of Jeremiah Barnett and Eliz
Dumford
Brdene Barnett Estill, KY neighbor, son of Jeremiah Barnett and Eliz Dumford
Cabourn Barnett Estill, KY
Henry Barnett Estill, KY neighbor, son of Jeremiah Barnett and Eliz Dumford

1840
Albert Owen Jackson, Indiana 30-40 (Son of Walter)
Dan Owen Jackson, Indiana 50-60
Nancy Owen Jackson, Indiana 30-40 dau in law of Walter
Owen Owen Jackson, Indiana 30-40 son of Dan
Walter Owen Jackson, Indiana 50-60
William Owen Jackson, Indiana 20-30 b. Madison Co, KY, son of Walter, wed
Cynthia Fountain
Willis C Owens Jackson, Indiana 20-30 possibly son of Walter
Abraham Owen Jennings, Indiana
Bracket Owen Jennings, Indiana
Samuel G Owen Jennings, Indiana
(Walter Owen b. 1777 in Lunenburg, VA, son of Barnett and Frances Whitlow
owen. Wed Jane

Cooke)

The following is the will of Barnett Owens found in the Madison County,
Kentucky Will Book D 1824-1829
Page 542 FHL Film 183,267.

"This is my last will and testament made this 1st day of January in the year
of our Lord eighteen hundred and twenty-nine being in my sound mind and
reason.
1st. My will is that my body be buried in decency and my funeral charges
paid. Amen.
2nd . All debts to be paid.
3rd. My Will is that all my children out of this State Patsy Thornton, John
Owen, *Walter Owen*, William Owen, Frances Thorp and Jemima Simms shall have
only twenty dollars each.
4th. The rest of my children in Kentucky is to have the balance of my estate
(to wit) Sally Orchard, Joicy Wilson, Polly Sullivan and Elizabeth Todd
equally divided among them and the household furniture is to be
ElizabethTodd in Grant.
5th. As to my son Barnett Owen he has had his equal part of my estate
already and is entitled to no more of the estate..
I appoint Alexander Orchard, William Todd and Thomas Ballew executors to
this my last will and testament. Signed and sealed with his Mark
*Indiana*the presence of Archibald Lainhart, Levi Archard.

Barnett (x) Owen
Proved May 4, 1829"

--
Tammy Owen