ORKNEY-L Archives

Archiver > ORKNEY > 2009-09 > 1254070555

From: William Sinclair <>
Subject: [ORKNEY] Trying to trace Mary Ann Sinclair and John Sinclair
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 17:55:55 +0100

I am trying to trace Mary Ann Sinclair, born 28 Sep 1870 Herston South
Ronaldsay and John Sinclair born 16 May 1873 Herston South Ronaldsay.

Their parents were John Sinclair and Mary Clouston.

Mary died in 1877 and John Married Margaret Miller.

John and Margaret had 3 Children, Jane James and Margaret.

This is John and Mary Ann on the 1881 Census with their father and stepmother.

John on the 1881 Census

Name: John Sinclair
Age: 7
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1874
Relationship: Son
Father's Name: John
Mother's Name: Margaret (John's mother was Mary Clouston the census is wrong)
Gender: Male
Where born: So Ronaldshay, Orkney
Registration Number: 29
Registration district: South Ronaldsay and Burray
Civil Parish: South Ronaldsay and Burray
County: Orkney
Occupation: Scholar
ED: 2
Household schedule number: 44
Line: 13
Roll: cssct1881_6
Household Members:
Name Age
John Sinclair 38
John Sinclair 7
Margaret Sinclair 31
Mary Ann Sinclair 10
--------------------------

This may be John, though I have no proof that this is him.

Possibly John on the 1891 Census

Name: John Sinclair
Age: 18
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873
Relation: Crew
Gender: Male
Where born: South Ronaldshay, Orkney, Scotland

Civil Parish: Vessels
Town: Tyne Dock South Shields
County/Island: Durham
Country: England
Registration district: South Shields
Sub registration district: South Shields
ED, institution, or vessel: Janet

There are a number of other Orcadians on the ship at this time.

Any information would be appreciated.

Willie Sinclair

This thread: