ORKNEY-L Archives

Archiver > ORKNEY > 2009-09 > 1252417291

From: Lisa Conrad <>
Subject: Re: [ORKNEY] Sinclair deaths
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 06:41:31 -0700

Willie,

Not all parishes/ registrars/ ministers recorded deaths for their parish
pre-1854,
AND / OR,
not many of the old records survive. I imagine the Sinclair you came up
with for So Ronaldsay was... Malcolm Sinclair, in 1842?

So Ronaldsay is probably lucky indeed to even have the 96 deaths that
were recorded for (mainly So Parish) for the island, from Revd. John
Gerard's efforts, 1832-1844.
http://www.southronaldsay.net/cdr/96oprs32-44-lconrad.html

Kirkwall, being larger, would have probably made more efforts, or have
had better "survival rates for old documents", than the smaller parishes.

I'm afraid one cannot always find every single birth/baptism, marriage,
or death that actually occurred in real life at ScotlandsPeople. Either
not all were written down, or not all records survived.

That's my take, anyway.

- Lisa

This thread: