ORHOODRI-L ArchivesArchiver > ORHOODRI > 2005-03 > 1110519628
Subject: SHERRIEB, Frank Conrad, obituary
Date: 10 Mar 2005 22:40:28 -0700
This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
Surnames: SHERRIEB, ROHRABACK, POTTER, OLSEN, MOSES
Message Board URL:
Message Board Post:
The Hood River News, Hood River, OR., March 27, 1925, page 1
FRANK C. SHERRIEB, PIONEER, PASSES
Through the death, on Tuesday night, of Frank Conrad Sherrieb, another of the real pioneers of this valley will be missed at the next annual gathering of the old residents of this section. In his death, the valley has lost one of its oldest rancher residents, for Mr. Sherrieb had resided in Hood River county for over 53 years. He gave up the strenuous life on the ranch about two years ago, leaving the ranch work to his sons, Leslie and Ralph B., and coming to town to live. Of late he had not been well and last week it was reported that his condition was causing considerable anxiety to the family.
Frank Conrad Sherrieb was born in the kingdom of Wurttemburg, Germany, on July 14, 1845, and, with his parents emigrated to the United States in 1854. They settled in Erie county, Pa., where they lived 12 years, and later took up residence in Michigan. Mr. Sherrieb came west in 1869, working on the new Union Pacific railroad in the states of Wyoming and Utah.
It was in April, 1871, that he journeyed to Oregon and, after living in Portland for three months, he came to Hood River. Quickly after his arrival here he took up farming, and his first holding was what later became the Coe townsite of Hood River city. Later he took up the ranch on the West Side where the Grange hall is now located, and through the years he has seen Hood River valley emerge from rolling forest into highly developed orchard land.
He joined the Methodist church in Michigan in 1868, helped to organize the first church in Ogden, Utah, and later transferred his membership to Portland in 1871. He later transferred to the Dalles charge, of which Hood River was then a part.
Frank Sherrieb, by virtue of his long unbroken term of residence, occupied the same portion on the West Side that Hans Lage of Pine Grove, and M.D. Odell, of Odell occupy in their respective communities.
Mr. Sherrieb was married to Isabel Rohraback on May 1, 1887, and to this union seven children were born, five girls and two boys. One girl, Amy Ellen died in infancy, but the widow and the following children survive: Mrs. Grace Moses and Mrs. Carol Potter, of Eugene; Leslie, Ralph B. and Mildred Sherrieb, of Hood River, Mrs. Laura Olsen, of Portland. Four grandchildren survive.
The second school district of this county was organized at Mr. Sherrieb’s home in 1878 by Supt. J.M. Garrison. At that time there were only 24 voters in a district which included the territory on the west side of Hood River from the township lines 2 and 3 south to Cloud Cap Inn and west to Green Point mountain. The school house was built on the present site of Barrett school, which is the third building to be erected there. For many years Mr. Sherrieb was a director of these schools, and took an active part in construction work on the present building. He was long a member of the Grange, and was regarded as one of the successful farmers of this section.
The Hood River Glacier, Hood River, OR., March 26, 1925, page 1
FUNERAL FOR SHERRIEB TODAY
Another of Hood rivers pioneers, Frank C. Sherrieb, native of Germany, aged 80, died Tuesday night. Mr. Sherrieb came to Hood River in 1871 and for a number of years was associated with the Coe family in farming the original townsite of Hood River. He was one of the earliest planters of a West Side commercial orchard. He resided on his Barrett orchard place until a few years ago when he retired, building a comfortable home in the city.
Funeral services will be held this afternoon at the Bartmess chapel, Rev. Frank R. Spalding, the valley’s first regularly appointed minister now in charge of the Methodist church at Cascade Locks, officiating. Interment will follow at Idlewilde cemetery.
Frank Conrad Sherrieb was born in the kingdom of the Wurtemburg, Germany, July 14, 1845. His parents emigrated to America in 1845, settling first in Erie county, Pennsylvania, where they lived 12 year. Later they moved to Michigan. Mr. Sherrieb came west in 1869, working on the Union Pacific railroad in Wyoming and Utah.
In April, 1871, he came to Oregon, living in Portland three months before coming to Hood River, where he lived until his death. He joined the Methodist church in Michigan in 1868, helped organize the first church in Ogden, Utah. He transferred his membership to Portland in 1871 and later to The Dalles georgette, of which Hood River was then a part.
Mr. Sherrieb was married to Isabel Rohraback May 1, 1887. To them seven children were born, five girls and two boys. Amy Ellen died in infancy. The widow and following children survive:
Mrs. Grace Moses and Mrs. Carol Potter, of Eugene; Leslie and Ralph B. and Mildred Sherrieb, of Hood River, and Mrs. Laura Olsen, of Portland. Four grandchildren survive.
The second school district was organized at his home in 1878 by Supt. J.M. Garrison. There were 24 voters in the district which included the territory on the West Side of Hood River from township lines 2 and 3 south to Cloud Cap Inn and west to Green Point mountain. The school house was built on the site of the present Barrett school. Tow other schools have since been built there. Mr. Sherrieb was school director for a number of years, helping to build the present building.
He was a member of the Grange.
This was posted for reference only. I am not related to, nor am I researching this family. If you have additional information about the person or event listed above, please post it as reply to this message.