ORFORUM-L Archives

Archiver > ORFORUM > 2004-05 > 1083819918

From: "Stanley R. Clarke" <>
Subject: Re: [GFO] Metro Pioneer Cemetery List
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 22:05:18 -0700

Eugene Melvin wrote:

>Stan,
>
>In your reply you mention:
>
>"check the newspapers for an obit and/or funeral notice. The obits are indexed by Multnomah
>County but not the funeral notices."
>
>where is the location of this index maintain at?
>
>Eugene Melvin
>SW Portland, Oregon

Eugene,

The Multnomah County Library Newspaper Index is a 3x5 card file index at
the Central Branch of the Library. It has been put onto micro-fiche and
is available in most college and university libraries and many branch
libraries. It is also in many other public libraries. The Genealogical
Forum of Oregon has the fiche index also. Anyone who wishes may contact
the company ScanIt and purchase their own copy.

This index also index many other items including many of the major works
like Gaston's histories. It also lists many early Portland deaths.

I did check it for Avis Erickson and did not find her listed. I would
suggest you search the newspapers for a funeral notice. "The Oregonian"
and the Oregon "Journal" are both available at Multnomah County Central
Branch, The Oregon Historical Society Library and the Watzek Library at
Lewis & Clark College.

For those reading ORFORUM please do not forget about the college,
university and seminary libraries in your neighbohood. These libraries
are open for you to use. Many of the are open 24 hours during the
school year. Go visit the one in your neighborhood and find out what is
there for your use. Let them know you are doing local history research
and ask what special collections they might have. Lewis & Clark has the
London Times with indexes and the New York Times with indexes. Mt. Hood
Community College has the Gresham Outlook in hard copy. The University
of Portland as the Catholic Sentinal Newspaper. Sometime as small
religious school library in your neighborhood allows neighbors to check
out materials and to get inter-library loans through them.

Happy hunting.

Stan

This thread: