ORCOOS-L Archives

Archiver > ORCOOS > 2012-02 > 1330105588

From: Jackie Whedbee <>
Subject: Re: [ORCOOS] Dew Valley Grange Hall
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:46:28 -0800 (PST)
In-Reply-To: <02DDC68E8CA34D55BB4C7DE6CDD3D1AF@CherylPC>

Very Cool information.

Most of the names I recognized (Not that I remember what they were like when I visited years ago). I have a photo of the Dew Valley Grange Hall after it was a quilt shop as I recall. I WOULD LOVE an OLD photo of it. My Great Great Grandfather Fredrick Freund use to play fiddle there on Friday nights, and my grandmother Ann Bethel met my grandfather Paul Benton Hoyt in that building at a Friday night dance.

Jackie Whedbee

FIND YOUR INNER TURTLE -

Slow down and enjoy life.

--- On Fri, 2/24/12, Cheryl Laffranchi <> wrote:

From: Cheryl Laffranchi <>
Subject: [ORCOOS] South Coast place names
Date: Friday, February 24, 2012, 8:10 AM

Actually SIXES RIVER s about 5 miles north of Port Orford, which is about 20
miles south of Bandon since they straightened the road and built the new
bridge about 45 years ago. Langlois is about 12 miles south of Bandon and
Dew Valley and several other named neighborhoods are inbetween them all.
Sixes was an important logging area in the 1950's and 60's, before the gorse
had migrated that far south.  Just south of Port Orford is several more
little names areas then Reinhart Creek where the Reinhart brothers built
their house on the coastal trail, before the Gold Beach Massacre.  The
indians were friends of the Reinharts and warned them away.  When they
Brothers returned, their house had been burned and their livestock killed or
scattered.

From: "Sue Steward" <>
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:03 PM
Subject: Re: [ORCOOS] raogk.org

> On 2/23/2012 10:46 PM, Jackie Whedbee wrote:
>> Thank you . . . yes I have gotten copies of those bios, both from the
>> Gold Beach ?? Genealogy Library?? Maybe History Library?? I don't
>> remember the name but the info was on index cards, and the books at Coos
>> Bay Library when I was down (from Alaska) visiting relatives.
>> Unfortunately there was a LOT of incorrect information on those cards.
>> And I have had the pleasure of digging through Robyn's Coos County Web
>> Site.
>> It says William was deceased but I have never found a date or source or
>> newspaper article on him, birth or death, or what ever happened to
>> Joseph. I have no other listing or mention of him.
>> For Joseph Leo Freund - I have a returned letter from his mother that she
>> sent to California that came back undeliverable that says -
>> "Congratulations on getting married, Say hi to the little woman" . . .no
>> name of the "little woman of course.   Does this letter have a date?
>> Where in California was it mailed to?
>> George Forty IS Charles Forty's Father
>> I was in the bath, typing on my phone last email . . . .
>> Fredrick and Anna's children's dates are:
>> William Freund - deceased before 1900
>> Elizabeth Gertrude Freund 1877-1918
>> Olive Margaret Freund 1879-1924
>> Grace Agnes Freund 1881-1964
>> Fredrick Adolph Freund 1883-1898
>> Anna Teresa Freund 1886-1978
>> Joseph Leo Freund 1899-
>> Vincent Francis Freund 1892-1962
>> I do have pretty much everything you can find on Ancestry.com
>> I do have Cencus records (before Ancestry.com was a twinkle in our eyes!)
>> I wear glasses now from watching microfilm machine images scroll
>> by!!Don't we all remember staring at the microfilm images.
>> I have no birth OR death for William but DO have baptismal papers for all
>> of the rest.
>> The index cards at Gold Beach are the only place I have ever heard
>> mention of William.   William is mentioned in the Centennial History of
>> Oregon in the Charles Forty bio.  Would you like a copy of that bio?
>> My Quest for the last 15 years has been to figure out the mystery of
>> William and what happened to Joseph . . . . I cross my fingers for the
>> 1940 Census that he is still alive somewhere.
>> I would love to connect with additional descendants that might have
>> photos to trade!
>> Jackie Whedbee
>> FIND YOUR INNER TURTLE -
>> Slow down and enjoy life.
>> --- On Thu, 2/23/12, Sue Steward<>  wrote:
>> From: Sue Steward<>
>> Subject: Re: [ORCOOS] raogk.org
>> To:
>> Date: Thursday, February 23, 2012, 8:11 PM
>> When I logged on to Ancestry.com I see you have a Private member tree so
>> perhaps you weren't looking for info other than where Sixes River was.
>> The Centennial History of Oregon has a bio on Charles Forty which
>> includes information about his wife's family.  That bio lists William as
>> deceased.
>> A Century of Coos and Curry has a very short bio on Charles Forty
>> married to Olive Freund.  Also a George Forty which might possibly be
>> father of Charles Forty.
>> Pioneer History of Coos and Curry has a short bio on George Bethel.
>> There is also a short bio on the Forty family.
>> If there is anything here you are interested in, just let me know.
>> Sue Steward
>> On 2/23/2012 7:28 PM, Jackie wrote:
>>> Fredrick and Anna were parents of  Elizabeth who married George bethel,
>>> William who disapeard, Anna who married Daniel Emmit, Joseph who
>>> disapeared, Fredrick died young, Olive married Charles Forty. ?? I think
>>> I am missing somebody
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> On Feb 23, 2012, at 4:40 PM, Sue Steward<>   wrote:
>>>
>>>> No, Sixes River is farther south than that  (about 25 miles from
>>>> Bandon)
>>>> down near Port Orford.  These website gives you a little info about
>>>> Sixes River today as a recreational site.
>>>>
>>>> http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/site_info.php?siteid=44
>>>> http://www.portorfordoregon.com/rivers.html
>>>>
>>>> Who were your great great grandparents?
>>>>
>>>> Sue Steward
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 2/23/2012 4:30 PM, Jackie Whedbee wrote:
>>>>> So would that mean "Six's River" would be a river Six miles from
>>>>> Bandon??? and if so what would it be named now???
>>>>> My Great Great Grandparents first lived as Six's River (I may not be
>>>>> spelling it correct)
>>>>> Jackie Whedbee
>>>>> FIND YOUR INNER TURTLE -
>>>>>
>>>>> Slow down and enjoy life.
>>>>> From: Cheryl Laffranchi<>
>>>>> Subject: [ORCOOS]  raogk.org
>>>>> To:
>>>>> Date: Thursday, February 23, 2012, 10:32 AM
>>>>>
>>>>> For anyone interested  FOUR MILE is located 4 miles south of Bandon.
>>>>> TWO
>>>>> MILE was two mile south of Bandon.  They are both areas not towns,
>>>>> even
>>>>> though they have a community atmosphere.
>>>>> ----- Original Message -----
>>>>> From: "Judy Brown"<>
>>>>> To: "'Robyn Greenlund'"<>;<>
>>>>> Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:23 PM
>>>>> Subject: Re: [ORCOOS] raogk.org
>>>>> Another option is contacting the Oregon Genealogical Society in
>>>>> Eugene.
>>>>> They have volunteers who, for a modest fee, will do research in the
>>>>> newspaper archives at the University of Oregon.  Their address is
>>>>> www.oregongenealogicalsociety.org.
>>>>> Judy Brown, member, OGS
>>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>>> From: [mailto:]
>>>>> On
>>>>> Behalf Of Robyn Greenlund
>>>>> Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:59 AM
>>>>> To: OR-Coos
>>>>> Subject: Re: [ORCOOS] raogk.org
>>>>>
>>>>> Unbelievably, I had not heard that RAOGK.org had closed.
>>>>>
>>>>> I just did a quick search, and learned that the site closed in Oct.
>>>>> 2011,
>>>>> and that the founder, Bridgette Schneider, passed away on Nov. 12th.
>>>>> My
>>>>> sincere thanks to her and the wonderful legacy she created by founding
>>>>> that
>>>>> wonderful site.
>>>>> http://www.familytree.com/blog/the-closing-down-of-raogk/
>>>>>
>>>>> For those of you who where volunteers with Raogk.org, please send me
>>>>> your
>>>>> names and information on what you are willing to do and I will be
>>>>> happy to
>>>>> update the ORGenweb pages with your preferences and contact
>>>>> information
>>>>> (with your e-mail address encoded for privacy).
>>>>> Robyn
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
> in the subject and the body of the message

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message