ORANGEBURGH_SC-L Archives

Archiver > ORANGEBURGH_SC > 2008-07 > 1216263862

From: "Cal Campbell" <>
Subject: Re: [ORANGEBURGH_SC] (no subject)
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 22:07:41 -0500

Hey did you hear of any fights at the tavern in the 1830's? I have a story
about one where a Stephenson got into a fight with a guy and thought that he
had killed him. He ran home, loaded the new wife, Elizabeth, who was
recently widowed from a Cherry man who we have not learned about but are
very eager to, all the family goods and two boys, Henry and Andrew Jackson
Cherry into the wagon and headed for GA. They passed through GA where the
Stephenson man died. They then heard that the man had lived. The family
moved on to Early Co, GA where Henry and Andrew Jackson fell in love with
two sisters, Polly and Roseanna Jane Sheffield. The boys and mom went on to
Walton Co, FL. She learned that she was to receive her inheritance from her
now deceased father, a Robinson, from Orangeburg. We have not made the
connection as yet. You know Orangeburg records from 1800 to 1850. Well,
the postmaster in Walton Co, stole the money. They put him on trial and he
was convicted, but when he heard the verdict, he jumped out the window
trying to escape. However, he had forgotten that he was on the second floor
and he fell to his death. The money was never found.

If anyone has heard of this story about the tavern and other stuff, I would
really appreciate you giving me a holler over here in Talladega, AL.

Sincerely,

Cal Campbell